ad: M2Ant-1

Yaesu FT-70DR Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a complete review of the Yaesu FT-70DR, Dual Band (VHF / UHF) digital HT (C4FM).

This radio is currently discounted for the Holidays. See your local dealer.

For the desktop charger, look for the Yaesu SBH-28.

Pascal VA2PV

FT-70DR_Thumb2.jpg

VE5SPR, KA8UGB, KM6SIK and 5 others like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A great HT you can easily program in the palm of your hand.... unlike "others" that require total dedication to a computer.

Merry Christmas all!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    KB1FUA and VA2PV like this.
  3. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Two hands needed to adjust the volume. My only gripe...

M0XLR, CS7ALY, W7KDG and 3 others like this.
  4. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one a year ago..wish I didn't!

The battery life of this rig is a joke.
    1 hr of minimal use and you are done.
    Just sitting on my shelf for a few weeks w/o any use, it loses battery power.

I was surprised Yaesu would release a rig like this; my Baofeng outlasts it by a mile!
    Sad part?..I can not find a higher capacity pack for it.

Sure; it works great; but with such a lousy battery life; that alone kills it.

KJ6NQW, M0XLR, W4LNX and 3 others like this.
  5. N2DRB

N2DRB Ham Member QRZ Page

KD9VV, I think you should try a factory reset (if you haven't already) and if the problem persists, reach out to Yeasu. I don't think any radio that only an hour with minimal use is normal unless you transmitting on high power for nearly the entire hour continuously. I have no trouble getting many hours of usage out of mine. Scanning or lots of transmitting does wear it down more than just monitoring alone but that'll be any rig too. Get that radio / battery checked out. I think you have a specific issue rather than a global one affecting all users.

KB1FUA, K2CDT, NU4R and 2 others like this.
  6. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

KC9VV-- I understand your disappointment. I would return the product to the retailer and request either exchange or refund, as it appears either the HT or its battery is defective. You are not experiencing typical product performance. Good luck. K8JHR

N6USC, K2CDT, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  7. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

all the resetting in the world is not going to do anything to make this radio preform.

the radio is not worth it. do not waste your money

KJ6NQW, W8LGZ and G3SEA like this.
  8. N2DRB

N2DRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you have a similar issue? Maybe my note on it being specific to one user isn't accurate if you too are having issues?

KJ6NQW and NU4R like this.
  9. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't like the volume adjustment either, which is the same way it is adjusted on the FT-1D. My battery life is fine, so no issues there. I do miss the "Dx" key that the FT-1D and FT-2D radios have, that allows you to query the repeater to find out what WIRESx room the repeater is in. I can't find a way to do that with this rig.

10. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of owners report the same problem, just browse reviews. It looks pretty much like hardware flaw, not a software glitch that could be fixed with reset. Even when everything works as it should, a slim battery is a pain. I’ve been used ID-51 with its kit battery and its kit wall charger: this was stupidest buy. Battery drained in few hours and recharge takes eternity. Acceptable battery and acceptable charger were expensive options so I was happy to sell it and forget Icom at all. I suppose Yaesu with its FT-70D wouldn’t go better. Why didn’t they just improve FT1D? And I personally hate Yaesu’s keypad layout. Why? Why don’t they do standard 4x4 keypad with zero at the bottom?

G3SEA likes this.
  11. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Took mine back. Battery life way too short. My Ft2D is better.

Adios

G3SEA likes this.
  12. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HI PASCAL,
    THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE
    TIME TO PROVIDE US WITH
    YOUR FT-70DR REVIEW.

GREAT JOB.......BRAVO......

THERE ARE A LOT OF FOLKS WHO HAVE
    BROUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION SOME OF
    THE SHORT COMINGS OF THE UNIT.
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO BE ABLE
    TO READ ALL THE FACTS ON A PRODUCT.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO PROVIDE US WITH YOUR
    REVIEWS.

73 AND THREE CHEERS FOR SANTA
    birdiewave[1].gif
    santa down the chimney.gif
    reindeer-santa-dancing-1.gif
    Santa and animated reindeer.gif
    product review of ft 70dr.jpg
    MARRY CHRISTMAS IN FRENCE.jpg

VA2PV likes this.
  13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

A fine radio except for that poor battery charge problem.
    I have heard several hams complain about it. Maybe there was a quality control
    glitch in a batch.
    Very little Fusion activity in Hawaii. Mainly DMR and D Star plus full quieting
    Analog FM

Mele Kalikimaka !

G3SEA/KH6

14. VA2PV

Here’s a few more information, well my point of view. Yes, the battery is an 1800 mAh, that is way less then some of my DMR radios. The battery on my side lasted about 6 hours in standby and doing some test, with the keypad light always on. I guess if you are a very active ham a second battery need to be considered. Yes, the volume adjustment is kind of a pain, but no radio is perfect. The audio output is OK for me. I think this radio is perfect to use with a hotspot, locally in your shack, like I do. I always put it back on the charger when not in use. At the end of the day we have to recognize Yaesu's effort in bringing to us a low cost C4FM radio. 73 Pascal VA2PV

K8XG likes this.
  15. VA2PV

Merci Joyeux Noel également! 73