ad: M2Ant-1

Exothermic Ground Rod

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, Sep 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N5HZR

N5HZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2018-8-31_18-15-16.png
    Mark Kleine N5HZR and Ed Hatch AG5DV of the South Canadian Amateur Radio Society, (SCARS) (https://w5nor.org) made an exothermic connection between an underground 6 AWG ground wire and a 1/2" diameter eight-foot long ground rod at the Norman, OK Red Cross building. This video short will show the setup, a failed attempt, and the final successful weld connection. The first one failed because the Cadweld ceramic wasn't properly supported, and it dropped when the weld fired.

Enjoy, and subscribe to our SCARS YouTube channel for future amateur radio videos!

K0TWA, K5RHA, N8SA and 8 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Monkey wrench gang ;-)

F4IDL, N4EEV, N5HZR and 3 others like this.
  3. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

“And.....”.

I would have loved to see the look on his face right then!!

N5HZR likes this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice fireworks. I do the same thing with a Torch and Silver Solder. I usually wrap the wire around the rod a few times.

Dan KI4AX

AC5RH, WB1E, KG4BFR and 2 others like this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you actually solder a ground connection?
    The exothermic connection is an acceptable ground connection recognized by UL.

AB4D, NL7W, N5HZR and 1 other person like this.
  6. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted_Post.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    N5HZR likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Because in the field welders are not always available?
    Also...I'm not sure about this...I'm not sure a welding method for ground rods has been certified. Exothermic connections are the only method I've witnessed on construction sites. Exothermic connections are used for ground rods and connections to building steel. Very commonly used and UL certified.

N2IPH/SK2022, K8MHZ and N5HZR like this.
  8. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a propane torch an silver solder also and I've never had a problem. That is also what my REMC uses when they put the ground at the meter base. My insurance company has looked at them and have always said good job not a problem. Guess it depends on your location and what your insurance company says or will accept. I've also used a regular cutting torch and brazing rod and got the same result and no problems.

Bob

K4GLM and WQ4G like this.
  9. KD8DWO

KD8DWO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N5HZR likes this.
  10. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exothermic welding can withstand multiple lightning strikes undamaged where often a clamped connection just blows apart.

K0PIR, NL7W, N5HZR and 1 other person like this.
  11. WB4OZM

WB4OZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video and nice first attempt, BUT, the ground rod(s) needs to be 24" minimum below grade to work efficiency for lightning( and have many of them if using a 8' ground rod, placed 16' ( Optimum Spacing 2X Rod Length) away from each other). RF it's best to have 3/4" or larger for more surface area( like 3" copper flashing)
    upload_2018-9-2_13-22-51.png

12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Compression connections are used much more these days, but require a special tool; not practical it you only have a handful of connections to make.

NL7W likes this.
  13. N2FRA

N2FRA Ham Member QRZ Page

An oxy-acetylene torch brazed connection IS an exothermic bond. It is the same process only using a different heat source where the brazing material and flux are applied separately. When performed properly, a torch brazed joint is just as effective.

WQ4G likes this.
  14. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Multiple lightning strikes .......really......I have lived in Miami most of my life and have not been struck ....

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In the old days, when kids learned to do this, we called them: 'future rocket scientists'.

Now we call then 'terrorists' :-(

I must confess that used only as prescribed....nothing beats the smell of thermite in the morning.

And no boys and girls, Uncle Chip is not going to tell you how to make thermite. The problem is that the reaction keeps on going until it runs out of oxidizer. So you can't extinguish it with conventional means. That means its dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Buying the welders, for that purpose shown, is far more controlled.

:)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    N5HZR, N4GST, K8XG and 1 other person like this.