ad: Radclub22-1

The Electronics Markets of Shenzhen

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W9GB, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Electronics Markets of Shenzhen

N4FLF, AG5DB and N0TZU like this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how many counterfeit parts and parts made from ripped off patents were being sold there.. I also wonder if they saw any of Chip's Metamaterials and Fractal Antennas there? American Corporations are fools for taking their factories there and letting the Chinese rip off their IP. Next up - India. That will be the next country ripping U.S. off. The rich capitalists will do anything for the next Billion... Most of them would sell their mother into slavery, if it meant another Billion for themselves, and then complain about the income taxes. Back in the day it was truth, justice, and the American way... Now it's just lie, cheat, and steal.

Dan KI4AX

K0MB likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep they are amazing. I was in Shenzhen about 10 years ago on business and visited a couple of these markets, though I’m positive they are much larger and more numerous now. There is also a similar market in Singapore which dwarfs anything in the US but still nothing like in China.

Business in China is extremely dynamic and entrepreneurial and there are hordes of very small companies providing all kinds of services and parts at wholesale and retail. We tend to hear about the large state owned enterprises and the large foreign managed factories but that’s only a part of it.

The brand name electronic items made in big fabs or big name factories like Foxconn are available but many of them are seconds that don’t meet all the primary customer’s specs or maybe even pilfered off the line, or even counterfeit. It’s possible though that some are legitimate “firsts” and allowed by contract at low quantities as a way of stimulating Chinese industry and entrepreneurs, though I’m just speculating on this.

Whereas we put so much emphasis on things like sports, celebrities and consumption, they are busy trying to make a business successful or learn about technology. That’s how these big technology markets stay in business while here there isn’t enough demand for Radio Shack.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    AG5DB likes this.
  4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "The brand name electronic items made in big fabs or big name factories like Foxconn are available but many of them are seconds that don’t meet all the primary customer’s specs"

Example - the "Class E" products (watches, calculators in the day) that TI sold to their own employees ...

5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the old "Radio Row" that was in New York City ...

6. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

N0TZU, Chinese students routinely build AM transistor radios as part of their schooling. The kits are available on Ebay for a few bucks. In the 60s American kids did the same, Sputnik put the fear of Lenin into the guys at the top of the govt, with the result that millions of teens built kit radios from suppliers like Graymark as part of mandatory electronics classes in high schools. That culminated in the hacker clubs of 1970s Silicon Valley, where young guys voluntarily came together to outdo each other pushing the envelope of computing, which at the time was dominated by IBM mainframes that took up entire rooms. Jobs and Wozniak were members of one such club, and then decided to sell completed motherboards at a chain of Valley electronics supply stores called Byte Shop. Without all that, this laptop on my desk would not exist, and therefore the internet would not either, except maybe as a research lab somewhere on the Stanford campus. But now? Everybody worries whether Kim Kardashian-who has absolutely zero skills unless you count spending her trust fund-is too fat or too thin, or how Meghan Markle gets along with the Queen. Young women get handed jobs by their rich folks, then spend most of their time in office social games or reading sex advice in Cosmo. Young men spend all their time playing video games or snorting dope.

N0TZU likes this.
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, overgeneralize much? Most of the kids I know today are

[​IMG]

WQ4G likes this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, so sorry you see the world this way!

WQ4G likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is some truth in that, though the “space race” with the USSR was a unique time. Now perhaps we’ve just reverted to a more normal cultural situation.

Also don’t forget that the software, AI, and many other technical advancements of recent years have been made by generations that were never exposed to the Cold War times.

WQ4G likes this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

For the past 100 years or so in this country, kids (for the most part) had better job opportunities than their parents. Had the opportunity to make more, and live a better life.

Not so much for this generation.

Before you beat up the "kids today", you might want to look at the opportunities you had growing up. I got out of college and landed myself a good job in a growing industry - and it wasn't all that hard. My kids are 24 & 25, and have it harder than I did, and they are lucky to have the jobs they do.

NY7Q, WQ4G and N0TZU like this.