ad: M2Ant-1

Flex Maestro, 6600M and 6400M Presentation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, May 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Mike, VA3MW for a great presentation. Flex 6600M and 6400M displays are identical to this Maestro.

flex.jpg

The Flex 660M, 6400M and Maestro places the most frequently used radio controls directly at your fingertips.

TA1TRJ, K7ART, IZ0TRL and 5 others like this.
  2. W9MO

W9MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you getting a Flex now?

TA1TRJ and K0PIR like this.
  3. KV5J

KV5J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope.

TA1TRJ likes this.
  4. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Me neither. I already have one!

K8VHL, TA1TRJ, K0PIR and 1 other person like this.
  5. K0PIR

No, but I think the LCD is very impressive. The external monitor resolution is impressive too.

Maybe someday I'll have a Flex.

6. W4FBI

W4FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess the waterfall doesn't work while remote. I notice it is stationary.

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the waterfall works fine on the Maestro both on a local network and via SmartLink.

8. K1SZO

I do not believe this is correct. I believe the displays on the M models are higher resolution than what the Maestro has. I have the non-M Flex-6400, but if I remember correctly when I was deciding, that was brought up and the question if Flex was going to upgrade the Maestro to support a display with the same resolution as the M models.

I do not have any issues with the resolution of my Maestro though. It works great.

K0PIR likes this.
  9. W4FBI

W4FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ok, but wondering why is the waterfall stationary in the video? I believe he said he was remoting to his Flex in Canada.

10. K1SZO

Initially it did look stationary, though if you keep watching the video. He zooms in (touch screen pinch) and you can clearly see it moving. (he even speeds up the waterfall) The more you zoom out, the more bandwidth is required. He mentioned that his connection is a 1mb connection and that when he zooms out too far, it saturates the connection.

Also, when you connect to the radio, you have two options. A regular connection and a low bandwidth option. Honestly, I've never even tried the low bandwidth option so I really can't say.

I operate my Flex exclusively remote. (currently in an apt, the Flex is connected to an yagi on a tower) I only use my Maestro when I'm travelling as at home I use my desktop and since I want to do digital modes. (digital modes requires a Bridged VPN if used remotely) The Maestro isn't capable of digital modes that I know of.

11. K0PIR

Yes, there are conflicting statements. Mike posted a correction on YouTube. However another Ham contacted Flex and they said they are identical and that the website is wrong. So idk. Both look great though.

K1SZO likes this.
  12. W7GEM

W7GEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Too much comment on the Maestro. Who needs one? Any of the Signature Series works well with a laptop and is the finest radio you can get for the money. The noise floor is amazingly low and both reception and transmission are distortion free. During the year they come out with new software updates and it is like getting a new, better radio. Flex has been making radios for the government for years and has developed the great software programs that make Flex famous. As the knowledge of software increases, true SDR can progress and we will see our Flex Signature radios get better. I have bought many radios and they have been excellent radios for their time but Flex is more like an investment that can increase in value over the years... My 6500 is a much better radio now that it was when I bought it and I have faith that there will be further improvement as the knowledge base grows. That cannot be said about any of my Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom radios...all of which were once among the best available.

13. K9ZW

K9ZW QRZ Lifetime Member #262 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There are two production series of Maestro.

The original is called Maestro A by FlexRadio and the current production is called Maestro B.

Maestro B and the 6400M/6600M models have the same display.

The other A to B version change is the power button location. On the original A version it was on the top.

Hope that information helps.

Steve
    K9ZW

K0PIR likes this.
  14. K0PIR

Thank you so much for the clarification!