ad: AbAuRe-1

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2112 EXTRA - Art Bell April 19, 2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2112 EXTRA - Art Bell
    April 19, 2018

Remembering the passing of Art Bell (W6OBB) who left us on Friday, April 13, 2018 at the age of 72 at his southern Nevada home. From a 2016 interview between Art Bell and QSO Today's Eric Guth. The excerpts were provided to Amateur Radio Newsline courtesy of Hap Holly's RAIN report.
    https://www.arnewsline.org/extra/

W9FIZ, W5YZR, WP4BRI and 1 other person like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Art will long be remembered I went by his place in early February and he wasn't doing well at all

W9FIZ, WP4BRI, KV4BL and 2 others like this.
  3. W7KO

W7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Art and a group of us got on the air on 75 Meters. He had a huge signal! I wanted to share this recording one strange night when Our group was attacked by a Monster! If nothing else you will hear Art Bell enjoying his hobby. He shall be missed.

K0SVT, W9FIZ, N7ECV and 9 others like this.
  4. W9FIZ

W9FIZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no doubt the passing of Art Bell will leave a huge void. Back in the day, (when I could hear) I often listened to his broadcast on my commute from work. He will be missed.

WP4BRI and KK5R like this.
  5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL !

I sometimes monitored that freq back in the day from here in Honolulu.

Aloha Oe ! Art

G3SEA/KH6

WP4BRI likes this.
  6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Old Broken Bottle.
    Farewell, dear friend.

W9FIZ, WP4BRI, WB0ABM and 2 others like this.
  7. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Bonnie we sure will miss him ! But don't be surprised if you here him one night on 80 meters ! from Area 51 # 73 Art & always good DX ..Phil KI6PMD

W9FIZ and WP4BRI like this.
  8. W7MAG

W7MAG Ham Member QRZ Page

Art,
    Really missing ya.
    Triple Five is just too quiet without you.
    Peace brother.

W9FIZ, WP4BRI and KF6VO like this.
  9. JF1UCX

JF1UCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Was totally shocked to hear of Art's passing. Like many, I knew he was not doing well health-wise, but still, it was a terrible shock to find out.

Art was unparalleled and one-of-a-kind with his paranormal radio program. Before Paranormal was normal, Art was doing it, and doing it far better than anyone before or since. His voice and on-air demeanor were tailor-made for a program about things that go bump in the night.

He was one of the reasons I got into Ham radio in the first place. I never got to talk to Art over HF, but was honored to have worked for him during his return to radio with 'Midnight in the Desert' in the summer/fall of 2015. It was great fun.

Art, was a pioneer in more ways than we can ever count.

As a funny aside, I do remember one program where the idea of the dead coming back to talk to us over radio waves came up. Art joked, 'the dead come back on 28megs'. Maybe we'll hear him again, who knows?

Rest in Peace, Art. You will be greatly missed. See you on the other side.

W9FIZ, WP4BRI and N8QQE like this.
  10. W2BNY

W2BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

WP4BRI likes this.
  11. W2BNY

W2BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

Art was a supreme raconteur- a great voice who had mastered the skill of storytelling. Isn't that what real radio is all about?

Although millions were listening, I always felt he was talking to me personally.

Like Churchill, he had "enlisted the English language and marched it off to war"!

W7MAG, W9FIZ, N8QQE and 2 others like this.
  12. KI6JL

KI6JL Ham Member QRZ Page

Art Bell was a friend of mine. He has opened his home to me on several occasions.
    He was warm, friendly and sensitive to a fault. I miss him already. So long old friend.
    I hope we can meet again some day. I'm betting on it.

JF1UCX, W7MAG, W9FIZ and 4 others like this.
  13. K8RTR

K8RTR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Art Bell (W6OBB) You'll be sorely missed by all!!! God Bless You RIP

JF1UCX and WP4BRI like this.
  14. VE2HS

VE2HS Ham Member QRZ Page

I started listening to Art back in 1998 or 1999. I guess we all remember where we were the first time we heard him on Coast to coast AM (or was it dreamland then?) Anyway... I certainly remember I was packing in the middle of the night, getting ready to move. I was hooked!
    Then, when I lived in Seattle, I used to stay up late talking to nice guys on 80 using only a Cobra Jr. Antenna at 15 feet at the appex. It was surprising that I could be heard as far as Kalamazoo in Michigan with my setup, sometimes barefoot, other times up to 1/2 a kilo. Anyway a friend of mine told me that Art's callsign was W6OBB. One night, I heard him probably on 3840. I threw my callsign in there but another station got back to me. I tried to reach him another time but he never got back to me. It was sad. I would have really like to have a QSO with him because I really felt like I knew him. All I know is he's one of the rare 'stranger' out there that I cried when I heard on Coast to coast AM, Friday the 13th from the lips of George Noory (boring to listen to him but there is nothing else to listen to nowadays) that he had passed. I couldn't believe it. This is soooo sad!
    George did a nice tribute to him though. I am grateful of this but I think this was my last time listening to coast to coast. Art will not be missed. He is and always be irreplaceable.

73 my friend Art. I am praying for you. Hope we'll have an eyeball on the other side.

Airyn. All of the amateur radio community thoughts are with you and your two beautiful children. Take care of yourself.

Pierre, VE2HS
    Montreal, Quebec
    Canada

JF1UCX and W7MAG like this.
  15. VE2HS

VE2HS Ham Member QRZ Page

Steven, all my sympathies to you my friend. Pierre, VE2HS