ad: Alphaant-1

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...which was usually the point of the entire broadcast. :)

After all, how many times did he have Ed Dames on to tell us that we were within a few years of the "kill shot?" It was no different than watching a disaster movie. Pure entertainment. The sign of Dames' "kill shot" was supposed to be that the shuttle was forced down by meteors or some other astronomical rockslide. The shuttle has now been decommissioned since 2011. Oops. :oops: But it was an entertaining story, nonetheless.

K3EY, KC8VWM and W1YW like this.
  2. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

i heard him a few times on 10 meters. Never could work him. Grew up listening to him, i am bummed man.

KV4BL and N8QQE like this.
  3. N6TPT

N6TPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Art's show was entertaining. Good for keeping you awake while driving in the middle of the night. And, I have him to blame for about 18 1/2 years (and counting) of number crunching for SETI@Home. :p

4. K7MIX

K7MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

AC013178-E9C6-4559-9197-B5C724699EDD.jpeg

N5PZJ and N8QQE like this.
  5. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

73s Art. May you find your peace. Prayers sent for you, your friends and family. May you find huge antennas, fantastic hamshacks and great signals forevermore.

K3SX, K4BAD and KV4BL like this.
  6. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I mistakenly got Scotty's call sign wrong... K7MIX is his call. I apologize. Also glad to see he was here on this thread in support of Art... cool stuff!

K7MIX and KV4BL like this.
  7. W5YZR

W5YZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just read of his death! I have listened to Art's show for many hours. It was one of the best things on radio. The callers were equally entertaining. I still listen to his old shows on youtube.

Thanks Art and RIP....

Will his death become a conspiracy?

8. KV4BL

KV4BL Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh wow!!!! I had heard Wayne Green on his show before but I wasn't aware of that!!!! I would love to hear that show on replay!

9. KV4BL

KV4BL Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened to Art from the mid-1990's into the 2000's. Like many, I was devastated when he would announce his departure from radio. He kept me awake on many a night of patrol when I was a cop, before retirement. Lot's of my co-workers were fans, too. My mother, who worked a typical 8-4 type job, would stay awake at night listening to his show. Of course, the next day, we would discuss it via telephone.

I always hoped to work him on ham bands but sadly, that never happened.

RIP, Art! Thank you for the wonderful shows and information.

Ray KV4BL

10. KI6JL

KI6JL Ham Member QRZ Page

Art Bell was a friend of mine. He was warm and opened his house to me several times. I miss him already.

KQ6XA and W1YW like this.
  11. AK6OK

AK6OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened to Art for a long time and found his show fascinating! Since George Norey took over, it just hasn't been the same. Really going to miss Art! Jeff AK6OK

12. WA5RRT

WA5RRT Ham Member QRZ Page

art kept me awake on my trips he will be missed RIP old friend

13. K7MIX

K7MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Good memories of Art, talking about my tower on his radio show.

G3SEA, N8QQE, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  14. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art was a citizen scientist and never personally believed in any of the paranoid, conspiratorial, supernatural, etc B.S. that he talked about on his radio show. It was strictly for entertainment value and of course ad revenue.

But I do have to say that allot of science dumbed down people did believe (and still do) allot of what was bantered about on the show. But who's to say if he added to their number or not?!

For me personally the number of science dumbed down people out there nowadays is just absolutely shocking. And then there are the many who don't have critical thinking skills and no common sense.

Just sayin'.

15. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

His show was aimed at stupid people that didn't know he well selling utter nonsense. I'm sure Art didn't buy any of it himself, but he did make a buck doing it, and I'm sure he had a good time. There are A LOT of folks that ate that nonsense up with a spoon. That is a rather sad reflection of the failures in our education system.