ad: Radclub22-1

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB8MF

WB8MF Ham Member QRZ Page

Art Bell, W6OBB internationally known radio host and holder of a three different call signs in the U.S. and Manila has become a SK at the age of 72. Art is the founder and first host of a late night radio program called "Coast to Coast AM" that was heard on radio stations throughout North America around the world.
    Art was a great advocate for the hobby and often talked about ham radio to his audience on the program. He will be missed by many of us who have fond memories of late night entertainment and listening to his paranormal based program.
    His distinctive voice will not be heard again except in recordings.

N. Mike Foght, WB8MF

w6obb.jpg

KC0IVF, NL7W, NO8Z and 14 others like this.
  2. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is sad news. I recently spoke with another ham from Pahrump and he thought Art was doing OK. He will be missed. He kept me entertained on many a slow graveyard shift. He also piqued my interest in getting my ham license as he spoke of it often. .-. .. .--. Art.

KC7TTT, W2CQ, KF4ZKU and 4 others like this.
  3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to sound cold, but how did he die?

4. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Appears that an autopsy is still scheduled but he suffered from COPD in later years (the cigarette in the photo may be a hint).

KK5R, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Reportedly in his home, autopsy to be performed, but in 2016 had pneumonia and COPD, for which the iconic posed photo offers a good explanation.

Most intriguing is the paranormal conspiracy theory supportive Friday 13th departure :eek:

Silent on our bands but perhaps still keying elsewhere, in QSO with Andy Kaufman! :rolleyes:

John, WØPV

KC0IVF, KJ6SPN, W0ML and 5 others like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad, thanks for posting the SK notice. I was stationed @ Nellis for years, Art was a fixture on the radio.

KF4ZKU, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed Art Bell. Some of the guests on his shows were a little "out there" but it was fun to listen to in the middle of the night. I don't recall ever working him on the ham bands.

73, Art :(

KC0IVF, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  8. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha Oe Art Bell

Some very fascinating and revealing stories on his program.

Some of his 20 year old programs are still replayed on several stations.

G3SEA/KH6

KK5R and W8KIC like this.
  9. KJ4PF

KJ4PF Ham Member QRZ Page

Listened to Art while working graveyard (25+ years.) Even some of the people I arrested & took to jail recognized his voice on the AM radio.
    Extremely sad how his wife died a few years back, with him there, and could do nothing to help her, (asthma attack.)
    Rest in Peace OM, maybe work you on 80M again in the great beyond. 73, Dave

K0SVT, KV4BL, W8KIC and 3 others like this.
  10. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm really sad to hear of his passing. Quite a number of times over the years we spoke on the telephone about radio wave propagation and anthropogenic climate change. He was a very smart man and always interested in science.

KC0IVF, W9UCR, KF4ZKU and 4 others like this.
  11. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

His UFO and Area 51 stuff was pure entertainment.

W8KIC likes this.
  12. KG7VC

KG7VC Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a few contacts with Art, called into the show a few times too...will be missed.​

KK5R, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  13. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

KV4BL likes this.
  14. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Art was always entertaining and sometimes enlightening. He had a great 4 square at his home in NV for working 75/80 meters. I had a lot of opportunities to talk with art on the phone in the last 4-5 years and there were only 2 things he discussed. His radio show, which most recently was on the Internet, and his love of Ham Radio. (He had many complaints about the lack of enforcement of gentlemanly behavior on the low bands from hams in CA). There was a time when 99.9% of hams were really friendly on the air and always cooperative with other hams. A lot of us miss those days. Art enjoyed listening as much as talking. I considered him a friend, although we only met in person 1 time. His FTDX-9000 station worked very well for him but my antenna limitations and the propagation gods kept us from ever having a QSO though we tried many times. He left a legacy of work that can be played for many years with most of it being as relevant now as it was years ago. May he always find a clear frequency in the next life.

73 my friend

KC0IVF, KJ6SPN and W8KIC like this.
  15. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He's traveling the cosmos in the mothership that's in the tail of Hale-Bopp.

W8KIC and KA0HCP like this.