ad: elecraft

WinLink Session with the Yaesu FT-891

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by OH8STN, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello operators
    A few operators have left comments with concerns about the reported USB clicking on the Yaesu ft-891. Apparently one or more operators have had issues with interference caused by the USB port and CAT control. To take the issue a step further, some operators have said digital mode operations with this radio are impossible.
    In this video, I recorded a CAT controlled WinLink session, simply as a test of the digital mode capabilities of the Yaesu FT-891. It doesn't really matter if it fails or not. What we want to know: Is are there any problems with this radio which would cause it to fail with data communications such as CAT controlled WinLink, FT8, PCALE, ..?

Video url:

Julian oh8stn

KF5VGK likes this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been following the 891 but I do like the idea of it's filtering capability. The more CW I do the more filtering I want, and my old SG isn't exactly stellar in that regard, as far as I can tell.

As far as my next rig I'm still holding out for one with an internal sound card....wouldn't think it would be so hard to get these days. Maybe the much anticipated 818 will be the one.

I'm pretty amazed at what a little extra power has done (SG vice 817) for my Winlink footprint. I've got nearly 20 gateways from as close as 125 miles to as far as 1,133 miles that I've linked with lately.

Al

3. KD5IOZ

KD5IOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian - others are reporting issues with rig control over USB with the ft-891 doing digital modes. Have you experienced any of this?

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With Winlink, the "clicking" is usually associated with the rig in scan mode on rigs that use some kind of mechanical relay filter on the RX side. So when scanning frequencies on different bands, you hear the relay "click"when the next band is scanned. On the diode switched filter rigs, you won't hear a click, no relay.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ