ad: Retevis-1

Mesh Networking Over Ham Radio, Our OWN Emergency Backbone Network

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Jan 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

A video here that will hopefully get you interested and involved in this technology that is not exactly brand new, but in recent years has grown in popularity. This video will explain mesh networking over ham radio. Imagine taking old consumer wireless routers that are available everywhere, especially finding stacks of them at hamfests for next to nothing, and flashing them with new firmware and turning them into ham nodes, which auto join and auto configure to connect us all to our own internet-like infrastructure. A must have for emergency communications, and a good watch for fun as well....

SUBSCRIBE to HamRadioConcepts
    facebook.com/hamradioconcepts

Attached Files:

KM4TIN, KA3YAN, K5VPC and 6 others like this.
  2. KB2UEW

KB2UEW Ham Member QRZ Page

happy new year 2018 for you and family Eric

3. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great if you live in a populous area, not so great where link paths are 30+ miles...

4. K5KTF

K5KTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Happy New Year! I was wondering what caused the humongous spike in BBHN website account registrations! :)
    Nice video!

KF5ZMD likes this.
  5. KC5KCT

KC5KCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video to show how the concepts work and ease of getting started. This stuff is great if you have line of sight. I mean you need to be able to see both antennas and not to mention be clear of trees. TREES especially pine trees really kill 2.4ghz greater freqs. Great for short haul backbones for any of the VOIP modes. Like anything properly applied has a very useful purpose.

K3CRM likes this.
  6. W4BAY

W4BAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very informative video. I am in Lake Placid, Florida, and I doubt there are nodes nearby, but I think I have an old Linksys somewhere and it should be interesting to try to convert it. Who knows, maybe others around here may give it a try. Thanks for the video!!

John
    W4BAY

7. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yah, My videos tend to drive traffic LOL, I went to the site again and there was over 1500 users online at one point.

K3CRM likes this.
  8. K5KTF

For the ops above talking about long distance, BBHN is optimal for making local networks of ham gear, but could be used to shoot some long distance (I have done 3+ miles personally, seen 10-20 miles with clear LOS) with UBNT gear or better antennas. Just watch what version gear you get, you may need to flash back to a previous version before you flash with BBHN firmware. Instructions on the website. 73 & Happy Meshing!

K3CRM likes this.
  9. K5KTF

Ill try and keep up with the fresh influx, activating new accounts (yes, I check all through QRZ before allowing, to keep out riff-raff). 73

10. WM3M

WM3M Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the video. Checking the map no nodes closer than 20 plus miles from me, so suspect it will not work for me. It would be great if there was a way to know if there was another node within reach of your QTH without climbing roof or tower to put up a node to find out no nodes can be copied?
    Also, video was good but if you want to save time skip the first 7 minutes, lots of repeats.
    Thanks 73

11. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this different than 802.11s? Not sure I see how this is HAM related.

12. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The WRT54 routers, and BBHN are really old technology. The "ham" part of this was being able to operate at higher power levels (i.e., external power amplifiers and directional antennas) beyond the normal Part 15 constraints. The downside was having to contend with the massive interference environment presented by all of the consumer devices operating at Channel 1 and above.

The newer gear, supported by AREDN, allows hams to operate in the ham-only portions of the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands. Both BBHN and AREDN use the same mesh networking concepts expressed in OLSR. The performance improvement in operating below Channel 1 is really striking; multiple-mile links are readily supported with the right path configuration.

Check out the AREDN web site:
    https://www.aredn.org/

KC6ZKT likes this.
  13. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a very informative video. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The problem I have is finding the router. I have never seen stacks of them at Ham Fests for next to nothing. As a matter of fact, the Charlotte Ham Fest has dwindled from monstrous fifteen years ago to it's present size of almost not worth the fifty mile drive. You get about 5 hours of flea market time before the two dozen vendors start packing up and pulling out. It would be wonderful if someone, I am not smart enough, could write the rom upgrade for another brand of WiFi router besides Linksys (Yes, I realize that there are a couple of other brands that work, both of whom I have never seen or heard of). I have a couple of Motorola routers that I have been saving for this very reason, but I don't have the talent to rewrite the ROM. Thanks for the video. Maybe some day it will be practical for the masses. Right now, for me, there are a couple of pieces of the puzzle missing. I have joined the website and will stay tuned for further developments. 73

14. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamfests need to open at noon for those of us who have to drive 125+ miles to get to them!

AC0OB likes this.
  15. KD4AMP

KD4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Great info video, but in a rural north florida area so will have to investigate further,tnx fer ur time and happy new year !!! jon kd4amp