ad: elecraft

Man Portable Solar Powered QRP Go Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators.
    It's taking a long time to figure out what worked and what didn't, but, I think it's finally fair to say I've been able to get my qrp go kit down to a reasonable size & weight. Most of you already know for the past few weeks I've published several articles entitled "Man Portable Off-grid Power for Amateur Radio". This video is the result of that research & field testing.
    In this video, I'll breakdown each module & component of my Man Portable Solar Powered GoKit, which follows a "Lego block" approach, and is designed to be modular.
    The three modules are:
    - Power & DC distribution
    - Radio & Computing
    - Antennas & Support

The entire kit weighs between 7-10 kg depending on the options chosen.
    You can find links to the original blog posts, research, field testing, and the usual plethora of full HD images, in the video description.

de oh8stn

YO4FKO, PE2AAB, 4G1KIX and 6 others like this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video. I've followed your channel for a while and learned a lot. My own set up is very similar. Your antenna system choices still puzzle me. I can't see how you would ever need anything more than a lightweight segment dipole and a 10 meter carbon fiber fishing pole for support. Anyhow, to each his own. Keep it up.

OH8STN likes this.
  3. KZ3H

KZ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo. I continue to use my FT 817ND with the CAM micro, Buddipole and wire. It fits my pack, and is broad band. Still working on the battery configuration - I use a flexible solar mat configuration but batteries/weight and my next hurdle. Operated in rain forests, cities, road sides and anywhere I can stop to deploy an antenna system. Phone, digital, CW and video. Keep up the good work. 73

W3KKO and OH8STN like this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every time I want to buy a solar panel, I think - do I really need it?
    Each of us chooses his own way.
    But I have one question: how long will you be on the air, unable to charge the battery?
    My battery allows me to work on the air for up to 8 hours, but I have not used the radio for such a long time outside the house.
    Do I really need a solar panel for charging the battery?
    Oh, I forgot to say, that my rig with battery and tuner inside plus 21 meter wire for antenna with clip-key are weight up to 1 kg.

[​IMG]

5. OH8STN

Thanks!
    Actually those aren't all the antennas I have they're just the ones I used most. For casual Communications, I often like to kick back on 30 meters working some digital mode away from all the contests. For that kind of operating I routinely use a monoband endfed.
    73 de oh8stn

6. OH8STN

Thanks for the motivation :)
    I believe in the future, radio operators will be operating just like you described, far more often than from the traditional ham shack. I've decided to do a battery built for the channel that might help you. In my kit I'm using a 4S, 10 amp hour lithium iron phosphate. For casual Communications I think the 4S2P, 5 amp hour would be perfect. Thanks again for the motivation.
    73 de oh8stn

YB3SGL likes this.
  7. K4BSC

K4BSC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too am a subscriber and enjoy your perspective on field communications. Why do I use a solar panel for my 7ah LifePo4 controller/battery and QRP rig? I do for the "WOW" factor. When I am in the field or park, some come over to see the radio or antenna but I have more response when I lay out the flexible solar panels. Everyone is interested in solar power and if I can peak someone's interest in ham radio via the solar angle, all the better. I teach a Technician (USA) class every 3 months and this is one good avenue to recruit students. P.S. I am a Chameleon Antenna aficionado.

OH8STN likes this.
  8. OH8STN

Awesome!
    I've honestly never thought about it like that, but you're absolutely right! During the July RaDAR Challenge, I had such a large group of people around me, simply curious about the gear, that I ran out of time before getting in the QSOs for that last location. It wasn't at all frustrating though! Setting up the "cool gear", actually sparked interest from three people, who stayed around for an hour discussing the gear, digital modes, and salt waters enhancement of radio signals.
    The "demonstration" was a success.
    73 de oh8stn

W3KKO likes this.
  9. YO7NSP

YO7NSP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video - YO7NSP 73!!!

OH8STN likes this.
  10. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome, how much $ do you have invested in the solar power? LOL on the loop, never had much luck with them....

US7IGN likes this.
  11. OH8STN

• Panel ~200$
    • Genasun GV-5 LiFePO4 ~90$
    I think the trick to loops is getting them as big as practically possible for portable ops.
    Thanks for the questions.

12. OH8STN

About 290$ for both panel and charge controller

13. OH8STN

I wrote this blog post to augment the video. There's a lot of the "why", and also many full HD images many of the technical questions if any.
    The most amazing ham radio "training adventure" I could imagine, is being off grid, above the Arctic Circle, near a large body of fresh or saltwater, operating a field station from a tipi tent. (I'm working on the tipi tent).
    IMG_20170731_182059.jpg just a mock-up.

de oh8stn

US7IGN likes this.
  14. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done. Simplicity is genius it is said. True for qrp operations as well.

OH8STN likes this.
  15. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep right up to 8 hours, then the battery is useless. how do you plan to charge it if you have no power?