ad: QSLWorks-1

HAMCOM 2015 - No Tailgating!

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by N5SKE, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure the Dallas sidewalk sale is still alive -- and if so, not as good as it was in its heyday. Used to be a big free-for-all, but then they started requiring everyone to have a tax number and promise to collect sales tax.

As far as Hamcom -- Wow! Nice venue, wide aisles, 99% of tables occupied, air conditioning consistent, no power failures. My only complaint was the lack of tables and chairs for those dining at the snack bars -- and the scouts who did not give up their seats to the elderly.

3. W5KAW

W5KAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to hamcom yesterday I did like the ac as it was hot outside! but the $5 parking fee is hiway robbery! and plus $20 for wife and I to get in so will stay home more due to costs and 300 miles driving time! its cheaper just to ship and stay home to but stuff than to drive way off somewhere so but at lest I ordered a new yeasu ft-817nd from hro and got $14 off the regular price! :)

4. KD5SPX

KD5SPX Ham Member QRZ Page

I was there here is my opinion.

Pros - nicer venue
    tables and rows all spaced with 4-5 ft clearance i had room to stretch
    very busy boyh days all day long
    air conditioned

Cons - very poor handling by security of loading dock area almost to the point of harrassment
    1 shot parking $5 if u leave u pay again if u return
    air conditioning too damn cold you had to wear a jacket
    restrooms not kept clean smelled and no paper towels
    concessions a $5 hotdog yea one drinks $3 really!
    no power available for any flea market tables .... really!

5. KE5ZFG

KE5ZFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the venue was great. Plenty of room, easy access from parking (garage and field), and lots of great deals to be found.

I ate breakfast before I came and went out to lunch after I left because I never eat over-priced convention food but, other than that, it was awesome. I found everything I was looking for.

6. KF5PV

KF5PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just here to beat a dead horse. No tailgating is fine if there are tables available inside.
    However the tables inside are sold out and I never received a reply concerning getting a table in case of a cancellation.
    I guess that is a lot of gear that will not be available to sell.

7. KG5VK

KG5VK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hmmmm

This thread is over Two years Old
    Not sure about this year but Last year there was tail gating available

8. K5RT

K5RT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no mention of outdoor flea market on the HamCom 2017 web site. I recall seeing something this week saying there was no outdoor flea market this year, but it wasn't from HamCom themselves.

Paul

9. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

The area that had been available for tailgating has been a construction site since early 2016.

10. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There was no tailgating at HamCom this year... and there were TONS of empty tables indoors where the swap fest was held...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. KF5FEI

Photos must be from Friday -- Saturday was way busier.

12. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is exactly what the Ham Clubs do for the West Liberty Iowa Hamfest, which is located at the Fairgrounds.

Everyone coming through the gate is charged about $7.00.

Vendors with tables go inside.

Tail Gaters can park outside and sell whatever.

Why $7.00? My understanding is the ham clubs rents the whole area from the county for this event which is why they charge what they charge.

The Wichita KS area Hamfest is indoors because of the variability of weather. Wichita charges one fee and if you are a vendor, your designated table (no extra charge) is marked with your callsign.

Planning and organization are the keys to a successful Hamfest.

Phil

13. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

More like...

1. Tables indoors at most hamfests are 30 to 60 bucks.
    2. Some hams want to take advantage of a hamfest, but don't want to support it.

;)

14. KF5FEI

Actually, some of the indoor vendors will hit the tailgate section while they are still setting up, buy the good stuff before the attendees get there, only to sell it for more inside. It is a win-win situation in that case.

15. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't worry too much about it. Most outdoor vendors are a lot like the indoor fleamarket vendors, "Well, I need 400 for that there Swan 350. That's what I paid for it in '65 and I need to make my money back on it, ya unnerstann..." :)

swan 350.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.