ad: cq2k-1

CW OPS – Learning Morse Code in an On-Line Class Session (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Jan 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KH6OWL

KH6OWL Guest

https://oahuarrlnews.wordpress.com/...orse-code-in-an-on-line-class-session-part-1/

CW OPS has been teaching people who want to learn Morse code via an On-Line Class, Skype, and software for free since 2012 according to the CW OPS website. On the mainland the wait list can be a year long.

This is a story about my experience. I took the class about 12 months ago but only made it to about Lesson 3. I got busy and didn’t have the time to practice. I’m still busy but I work from home and I am confident I can put in the time needed.

TIP: You have to practice at least 30 minutes a day, and for me I need about 60 minutes or more. You don’t have to do it all at once but find a quite place and put in the time.

Lesson 1: T, E, A, N. Our first class was on January 3, 2017 and we had 5 students and the instructor / mentor was Alan Maenchen. AD6E. The first class was pretty straight forward. We had to know the letters T, E, A, and N. Letters A and N had me confused, sometimes I was mix them up and it seems the other students were as well but Alan said it is normal and with more practice they will sound different.

The second session was 2 days later. We reviewed the letters from the 1st session and talked about our problems with learning. That was helpful to hear others having the same issues as I was. We then went on to listen to others sending and then sending ourselves. The assignment was to know the following by this class, or at least be familiar with these letters and numbers.

Lesson 2: O, i, S, 1, and 4. January 5, 2017

I am having issues with the A and the N. I get them confused when they are in words and not sent separately. Others where doing the same thing. When Alan sent us some words and call signs it was 50/50 for me. The call signs got me and I was bad at those. The words I could figure out after 2 times but it will take a lot of practice outside of class.

The next class is Monday, 3 days from the second class. I think the 1st day I will go over session 1 and 2 and then day 2 and 3 I will spend on lesson 3.

Lesson 3: R, H, D, L, 2 & 5. (Plus Lesson 1 & 2) January 9, 2017

I had issues with R and D but after talking with Alan I decided to plow through and complete the lesson and it seemed to help. At first I was just playing those letters over and over to try to get them memorized. I have the word speed set at 20 and the Farnsworth set at 5. That is slow but it is my best for now and I will try to speed up the Farnsworth to 8 and then 10 but for now I am at 20 and 5. For Lesson 3 I had a hard time with H, S and 5. Some of the other classmates stated the same thing. At 20 WPM the H, S, and 5 sound very similar. Our next class is 4 days away and it is a review of Lessons 1 through 3 and the new letters are U and C.

TIP: I put a 3×5 card over the computer screen where the next letter or word would show so I could not see it. This made it harder but I was able to concentrate more and not knowing what was coming next is like being on the air and not knowing what the other operator would send.

Stay tune for Part 2.

G0POT, W8WZ, KF6KAT and 1 other person like this.
  2. K5ATG

K5ATG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am currently taking another Level 1 Course. So far I am truly enjoying it and would highly recommend it. These guys are doing awesome work.

KH6OWL likes this.
  3. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

My learning sequence followed no rhyme or reason. The trick is putting in the time. You've got to want it.

KH6OWL likes this.
  4. W4GNI

W4GNI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am kind of chugging along on my own. I am keying FaceBook posts into my practice oscillator at the moment...figured I should make FB productive for something! = )

K5EFJ, M0REU, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  5. KT0G

KT0G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am taking a level 1 class also. I chugged along myself for a while counting dits and dahs, and using cheater software, geeezzz. Now I learning code the right way. Thank you CW OPs!

KH6OWL likes this.
  6. N1TYH

N1TYH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I took the Level 1 course with CW Ops. Great group, and I had an amazing instructor. My decode speed is still very slow, so I continue to practice as you are doing above. I'm on the wait list for Level 2 (a session came up, but I had a conflict that would make me miss too many Monday evening classes). I'm looking forward to the next opportunity for a Level 2 course. Yes, you wait to get into a course, but you can practice on your own until them, as you're doing (I applaud you for doing so). It's worth the wait to get into one of the courses. Thanks CW Ops! 73, N1TYH (Steve)

KH6OWL likes this.
  7. KF6KAT

KF6KAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what I was looking for, I signed up.

KH6OWL likes this.
  8. AG7BF

AG7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year I signed up for this month's course and was told I'd be contacted by my instructor. Hasn't happened. Ain't that lovely.

9. KH6OWL

KH6OWL Guest

Did they give you your instructiors name or call? I would contact them again.

10. AG7BF

Here's the full text of the email I received on October 10th.

"You are scheduled for the level 1 January/February 2017 Semester. An Advisor will contact you in the middle of December 2016 with more information about the course."

That never happened. Oh well.

I replied to the email just now.

11. KH6OWL

KH6OWL Guest

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope they contact you. if not you can skype me and I can show you how to do it and you can teach yourself until you get in the course. My skype ID Is KH6 OWL. (Space between 6 and 0 for first and last name.)

12. KT0G

KT0G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A free class ran by an all volunteer group, bound to have a few issues. If you are really interested keep practicing while you apply again.

KF6KAT likes this.
  13. K5EFJ

K5EFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave this some thought but unfortunately I don't think that my internet speed would support Skype. I'm going to have to test it.

14. WB7DKZ

WB7DKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Again sorry about your experience. I have been a CW Ops advisor for some time now. We are volunteers and usually do a pretty good job, alas, we remain human as well! Any way I can help let me know. Andy, WB7DKZ

K5EFJ likes this.
  15. AG7BF

Apparently I was on the waiting list from the beginning. I was never told that. It would have been helpful information to have. I've been priority slotted for the next class.

KH6OWL likes this.