ad: Radclub22-1

PACIFIC DXPEDITIONER (KC0W) IMPERILED BY THEFT

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1YW, Sep 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually quite easily when they have new goods for free and one step away from another bag of drugs. They know the church won't do anything and just pass the hat around or wait until someone makes a tractor donation.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No, its probably on a fishing vessel coordinating illegal sein fishing, pirating on 30m sideband.

Toms shoes will show up at church, the accouterments of a prosperous thief.

His coax will be used as rope.

Watta crazy world...

:-(

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. N5OF

N5OF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Prayers for Tom! It is good seeing the ham community come to his support,
    Clay N5OF

4. N0JAA

N0JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will relay this to my amateur radio email forum. Perhaps one of my members can help out.

I hate to say it, but Tom's radio equipment and possessions have likely already been pawned or sold on the black market. I hope not, for Tom's sake.

Tom, I hope you get all of your possessions back, or at least get them replaced with similar equipment. Let's all help him out!

5. K7OP

K7OP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lighten up Francis.

6. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Col, if you want to lighten your burden you could redirect all the monies to the WF7A ANAN-200D Amateur Radio Fund. All donations will be cheerfully accepted.

7. NN1C

NN1C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seconded. This man is in a foreign country country on a large dxpedition, he just had all of his gear taken, doesn't seem funny to me.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Col's situation is unfortunate and no one is to blame.

Dx-world.net serves a valuable niche in the DX community (I use it all the time) and Col is a man of great integrity. I think those who donated should give him some slack and wait the 30 days.

He's spent a lot of time on this and undoubtedly will have to spend quite a bit more.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  9. NN1C

NN1C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes! It is great to know there are people like Col out there. Thanks Col!!!!

10. MM0NDX

MM0NDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed, Chip! It's our credo (as amateur radio operators) to be there in time of need so if we can't help our own, how can we in good conscience help others?

Hats off to Col and other hams who selflessly give their time, money, and expertise to help our own (and others).

KF4ZKU and W6ADF like this.
  12. MM0NDX

MM0NDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not too bad, Chip. All the direct paypal donors have been refunded and so far everyone who used the JustGiving page has been exceptionally understanding; probably because they also recognized a man in need from the outset. We all learn in life as we go along, hi.#

73 de Col MM0NDX

W1YW and WD3N like this.
  13. W6ADF

W6ADF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Grief and disappointment. Imagine the time, effort and hard-earned money spent to launch such an expedition. My good thoughts go to Tom Callas, KC0W as I am sure the angst and frustration he is encountering now, is only the beginning. It would do us all well to keep in mind that the good people of Kiribati are not to blame only a selected few or one individual that took advantage. Likely the thief knows nothing about Ham Radio Equipment, with luck perhaps Mr. Callas can recover some of it with the aid of the police. I wish you well KC0W and may you continue to launch many future expeditions!

KF4ZKU and N5PZJ like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I very much doubt it is natives of that island. Don't underestimate piracy in the Pacific: the word gets out and the thieves move in.

KM9R likes this.
  15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Hello WB3NUW - I'm really curious why your call sign doesn't come up in ANY database - anywhere.... including the FCC ULS....

Weird... happy to retract but please provide more info to prove me wrong....

Perhaps other folks can find this callsign referenced in the FCC database... I only find it on the clusters being reported - on September 29th 2016 - once - by P1RAT (get it?) - but nowhere else.... How odd.... :cool:;)

Not to thread jack - but me thinks that Tom would approve.

Just want to make sure all is on the "up and up" and such.

So I guess I would say I'm "calling your bluff" WB3NUW? :) Please prove me wrong :)

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    K2HAT and W9JEF like this.