ad: chuckmartin

What to look for in your SOTA Tent

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Adam (K6ARK) Breaks down tents and features for what we need to look for in a tent. We go over things to look for in a tent, key features, and types of water proofing. This in depth dive is a perfect guide for tent buying.

KC7ZXY and AJ6KZ like this.
  2. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought this was going to be about dangerous insects and animals!

WD4ELG and KG5AHJ like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Snakes and scorpions.

4. KG5AHJ

you got to think about what kinda of insects and animals are around to select the right tent. On the other hand, if your in Grizzle Country, the CORRECT answer is a cabin.

KC7ZXY, KI5PLE, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KG5AHJ

WOW. just wow

7. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Naw...what you're really looking for is that SMA-to-BNC antenna connector that fell out of your backpack...cuz without it you ain't talkin' to anybody! :eek:

Regards,
    -Bruce

KI5PLE likes this.
  8. K5YVY

K5YVY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That should have been worth extra points!

9. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have my Bibler Fitzroy. Utterly bomb proof, but heavy.

10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My preference is to pack a tarp, ground sheet and bug net. Way more versatile and practical over all. If I was stuck in US7's situation I would go nuts though. On the boat I found its better to anchor well offshore over fighting bugs. I lost my want to go camping long ago though and now my idea of camping is the Holiday Inn. My last SOTA type operation was renting a cabin in VT. Woodstove, running water and window screens. Ya. That's the ticket.

K7GYB, KI5IQE, N7XCZ and 2 others like this.
  11. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. After 10 years of scouting and 128 overnight adventures, my definition of "roughing it in the wild" today is when room service forgets to put the mint on my hotel pillow in the evening.

NK8I, WD0BCT, UT7UX and 2 others like this.
  12. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. Find one with a balcony, get a room on an upper floor and hang a wire off the balcony like Joe Walsh talked about doing back in the day. :D:cool:

KC7ZXY and N1IPU like this.
  13. KM4MA

KM4MA Ham Member QRZ Page

Multiple solar panels.

14. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What do I look for in a SOTA tent? One made to look like a large building with something like RAMADA or Holiday Inn in big bright lights on the outside.

WD0BCT likes this.
  15. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck hiking to the top of a mountain with *that*. :D

If I'm doing an overnight activation, I use a hammock and an Eno Housefly shelter. I can set up anywhere I have trees, even if the ground is rocky and on a slope (as was my last overnight SOTA activation). I haven't slept in a "proper" tent in years, even in winter temps down into the teens.

Chris

K7GYB and US7IGN like this.