ad: ProAudio-1

Track Movement of Milky Way With Amateur Radio Telescope

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Many radio amateurs are also keen on astronomy so they may enjoy this recent article by David N2LVD in IEEE Spectrum. Click on the bold blue text headline link below for all the details.

73, John, WØPV

Track the Movement of the Milky Way With This DIY Radio Telescope - Detect galactic hydrogen using roof flashing, a paint-thinner can, and a software-defined radio

[​IMG]

A young friend recently spent a week learning about radio astronomy at the Green Bank Observatory in West Virginia. His experience prompted me to ask: How big a radio antenna would you need to observe anything interesting? It turns out the answer is a half meter across. For less than US$150 I built one that size, and it can easily detect the motions of the spiral arms of the Milky Way galaxy. Wow!

(A real CAN-tenna :) )

[​IMG]

At my instrument’s “first light,” I was able to detect the neutral hydrogen line with just a little squinting. After getting more familiar with the HDSDR software, I figured out how to time-average the signal and focus on the spectral plot, which I adjusted to display average power.

This plot distinctly showed a hydrogen “line” (really a fat bump) when I pointed my horn at the star Deneb, which is a convenient guide star in the constellation of Cygnus. Point at Cygnus and you’ll receive a strong signal from the local arm of the Milky Way very near the expected 1420.4-MHz frequency. Point it toward Cassiopeia, at a higher galactic longitude, and you’ll see the hydrogen-line signal shift to 1420.5 MHz—a subtle Doppler shift indicating that the material giving off these radio waves is speeding toward us in a relative sense. With some hunting, you may be able to discern two or more distinct signals at different frequencies coming from different spiral arms of the Milky Way.

[​IMG]

Don’t expect to hear E.T., but being able to map the Milky Way in this fashion feels strangely empowering. It’ll be $150 well spent.

by David Schneider (N2LVD)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    K0WJ, AA9G, W5KUL and 31 others like this.
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

WoW! I hope they are not listening to us.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WD8JFT, W7XLR, KT7R and 1 other person like this.
  3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool ! :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

N1GKE likes this.
  4. DL3PB

DL3PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent job, OM David!
    Though I'm not really into ultra-high frequencies nor astronomy, I enjoyed reading, how you solved the according issues.
    Always fun to see, what can be done 'at home', when you focus on a certain challenge.

Peter/DL3PB

W7XLR, KC7HDE, N1GKE and 1 other person like this.
  5. K5SOP

K5SOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Great article John!!

KC7HDE and N1GKE like this.
  6. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember to ID every 10 minutes

W5KUL and KC7HDE like this.
  7. KA2KQM

KA2KQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting article David! Would be great to hear additional details of your setup ... did you use an L band preamp? What NF? What feedline/length and downconverter did you use before your SDR? Great work!

KD2KOS likes this.
  8. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now try a little Earth Orion Earth...

KC7HDE and KD9MKZ like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a pic of the horn that Ewen and Purcell used to detect the 21cm (1420 MHZ) hydrogen line. This was on the top of the Harvard physics building....

They had more gain but also far noisier receivers:)

'Doc' Ewen became a big player in the microwave and 'dish' revolution of the 60's and 70's.

[​IMG]

W5KUL, W7XLR, KC7HDE and 1 other person like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'horn' shown in the OP is likely a monopole inside a rectangular can, with a horn opening .

"TIME AVERAGING" is called 'integration' in radio astronomy, and is key to detecting celestial sources: it beats the noise down by the square root of the total time. The problem is that the OP is doing 'drift scans', so this sets the time averaging to less than a few minutes. Bright sources show up, dim ones are in the noise:)

W5KUL, K4AGO, KC7HDE and 2 others like this.
  11. K0KQ

K0KQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done WØPV, thanks for finding that link.

QST ran an article 10 years ago, still good reading:

"Build a Homebrew Radio Telescope" WA8SME shares his experience.
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ETP/Radio Telescope.pdf

Search on "Amateur Radio telescope" will bring lots of interesting reading.

N5AL and KK4NSF like this.
  12. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best article on QRZ in memory
    Like see more of these kind of stories very inspiring indeed
    Best 73
    Joe
    W0IW

13. N5AL

N5AL Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be interesting if he developed a tracking system for the paint can horn antenna. Since the antenna is fairly small and lightweight, one could probably repurpose the mount of a hobbyist "go-to" optical telescope.

W1YW and KK4NSF like this.
  14. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

It all depends on the size of your antenna. I use a yagis for my RA work, and have one of them mounted on a Skyview Pro Equatorial Mount with a clock drive. I can set it up at dusk, and trust it to track all night if I want it to. [​IMG]

For RA work, you can use a GOTO mount.... but you don't really need one. They can be quite expensive. Any good equatorial mount with a single axis clock drive will do the trick. The Beam Width of most antennas is wide enough that you can manually set the initial position and then let the clock drive do it's thing. A small horn of plenty would work well on such a mount, as would a Log Periodic.

N5AL and K0KQ like this.
  15. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

they are.... ;)