ad: Flexradio-1

Software Defined Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Mar 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

<H3>TAPR Kitting of the W7PUA DSP-10 All-Mode 2-Meter Software Defined Transceiver</h3>
    TAPR is planning on kitting the DSP-10 an All-Mode 2-Meter Software Defined Transceiver. The DSP-10 was featured in a three part article in QST September, October and November 1999. The official DSP-10 Project web page is at http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/dsp10.htm. Bob Larkin, W7PUA, the creator of the DSP-10 is pleased that TAPR is taking on the kitting of the DSP-10. TAPR's kitting of the DSP-10 is in keeping with its tradition as a member supported Amateur Radio Research and Development organization and supporting the development of Software Defined Radios (SDR).

It is anticipated that it'll take approximately 2-3 months to gather all the parts and assemble the kits. As many are aware, some of the parts are hard to find and/or have a long lead time. If you know of a source for these harder to find parts, please let me know.

The kit will be as complete as possible. The goal is to provide a kit of parts that will enable the builder to complete the DSP-10. However, the kit builder should be prepared to complete the DSP-10 from locally procured parts such as wire and hardware. The plan will be to provide a kit similar to what Dan Schultz, N8FGV, did in his first two kittings, all the components and circuit board. Dan also did a nice touch by providing 63/37 solder, no-clean solder flux pen, and no-clean flux desoldering braid.

What may not be provided is the Hammond enclosure or EZ-Kit Lite DSP. If there is enough interest for an enclosure, it can be included. There is no bulk purchase price for the EZ-Kit Lite DSP and thus does not provide a monetary benefit to the kit builder. It is therefore suggested that you purchase the EZ-Kit Lite DSP from a distributor near you.

Kit building experience required is moderate to advanced. Support for the kit will be from the DSP-10 list or its successors. Several people have successfully built the DSP-10 and they are on the DSP-10 list. There is a wealth of information on the DSP-10 Project web page mentioned above.

TAPR is not equipped to do case-by-case custom orders. TAPR is a member supported volunteer R&D organization and custom orders would overwhelm the limited resources we already have. However, we are always looking for good helpers. Let me know if you would like to assist in this or any other TAPR projects.

Price for the kit has not been set. Once a price is set, orders can be made and payment will be requested to offset the cost of the parts ordering. Delivery will be made upon completion of the kits. Potential buyers can contact the TAPR office via web, email, fax, or telephone and place their orders. Payment can be made by check, money order or credit card. Note that TAPR does not have secure ordering via the web at this time. See http://www.tapr.org for more information. Shipping costs are extra and depend on your shipping method and location.

I'll keep the DSP-10 list informed of the kitting process and time line. I'll also create a DSP-10 web page on the TAPR web site that people can refer to.

Any questions, please email me personally or to the DSP-10 list.

- Steve, N7HPR (n7hpr@tapr.org)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.