ad: Radclub22-1

SHARI Pi HAT - ALLSTAR SA818 Radio Module For Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Sep 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I make a node, you'll be in range of my boat too if this works the way I think it does.

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed!

Martin G8FXC

3. W0JAY

W0JAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I been trying to order one for over a week now. But seems they dont check there email to much or they just dont wanna sell me one. Not sure what. Looks like a great product tho. Be nice to get one on the air.

4. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is typically a 4 week backlog. This is a mom and pop business and demand is very high as well as component availability issues. There are great nets on various nodes pretty much all day long. Mostly social nets but several tech nets every week. Audio is way better than DMR and I never have a problem finding somebody to talk to. I usually check into 3-4 nets daily. This past Feb I was introduced to it and now I have 4 nodes. :) 2 homebrew, a Shari and a micro-node international nano-ae. My DMR nodes are on line but don't get much use since I discovered Allstar.

Many if not all of these nets are available on Echolink as well.

-Mike

5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a shame. I emailed a question and got a response quite quickly, followed up with another question and have not received a response in several days. I also tried their support forum on Groups.IO - I signed up and submitted a question there which is still awaiting moderator approval several days later...

Martin (G8FXC)

6. W0JAY

W0JAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been ordered. Not sure how long it will take, but that's okay. I have 2 radio less nodes in the cloud cross-linked to two different DMR TG wit hall the digi modes available. I also have 3 radio nodes. One hooked to a Motorola CDM 1550 and one hooked to a Btech and another ClearNode. I wanted a VHF version to use on the go in the truck when I am traveling. This what this is going to be used it for.
    Plus it will be fun putting it all together.

7. KC3HRV

KC3HRV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N8PC

N8PC Ham Member QRZ Page

AllStarLink runs on a dedicated computer (including the Rasperry Pi) that you host at your home, radio site or computer center. It is based on the open source Asterisk PBX running our app_rpt application. App_rpt makes Asterisk a powerful system capable of controlling one or more radios. It provides linking of these radio "nodes" to other systems of similar construction anywhere in the world via VoIP. it is not DSTAR as it is analog Only.

9. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Its trivial to interface Allstar to a HT or mobile radio, and a lot more useful, as in more than one person / house can hear & use it.
    Hotspots are in my opinion not really good use of the spectrum, and are mostly for gadget obsessed folks with little technical ability (read: are afraid of a soldering iron)

But then again we have a large number of folks using the Hamvoip version which isn't open source and that too doesn't promote/increase the technical purposes of the hobby.

10. N8PC

N8PC Ham Member QRZ Page

No it is not a derivatived from IRLP or Echolink. it is a PBX phone system software adapted over to Amateur radio usage.

VE3JMR, N0NB and N5AQM like this.
  11. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus the AllStar implementation is capable of seamlessly incorporating Echolink which I just did with my repeater yesterday to allow linking of a neighboring county repeater that is Echolink only at the moment.

A hotspot such as this would be handy for travelers wanting to be in touch with an AllStar repeater "back home".

12. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got mine in the mail yesterday,I should get it going today..New mode for me.

13. VE3JMR

VE3JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hotspots typically do not need a lot of power. I use my Shari to connect to Allstar from mostly around the house. Mine is running the default output of 500mW which is LOTS. I do not use the included rubber duck antenna which is unity gain. I have substituted an MFJ 1717S (approx 2dB gain) that's on an MFJ mount that sits outside on a window sill with the cable coming through a window to the hotspot that is near the window. I can reach my hotspot from the mobile up to about 5km (3mi). IF I were not doing that, I'd adjust my Shari power down to 100mW. Why use more power than needed? Check out my profile page to see a description and photos of my Shari setup.

14. VE3JMR

I know a few hams with the Clearnode and like them. They are more money. The difference is that they support a few digital modes in addition to analog - Allstar.

15. VE3JMR

As others have stated, Allstar is an analog network not unlike Echolink and IRLP. Technically, it is NOT a derivative of these as it was designed with unique technology. Interestingly enough, I often get comments from other hams that my audio is stellar. I've even had some ask what digital mode I was using :) In recent testing with a couple of friends, we all conclude that the audio quality is better than Echolink with one exception: Echolink to Echolink connections appear to be about the same as any connection to/from Allstar. The other day I had a QSO with one of these hams and both of us were using the Echolink app on our iPhones. The quality was amazing. We were both connected to The Canada Hub network that operates on Allstar and has an Echolink bridge. I switched back to Allstar via my node and my friend stayed on Echolink. The audio quality from him was not as good. Our conclusion is that the best overall audio quality with Echolink is when both parties use it. I use mostly Allstar from my node and it works really well.