ad: elecraft

Radioddity GS-5B: Who Should Consider This HT?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Dec 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This radio comes from China.
    Avoid it like the plague.

KA2FIR and N6PRX like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Considering this is just a dual band, analog radio I think you're reflector is safe. For the low IQ crowd it's not DMR.

N1RBD, KD1ELK and N3FAA like this.
  3. N9RPE

N9RPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of these Yaesu radios that have come out over the past few years are pieces of junk as well

KA3TJI, KD1ELK, KA2FIR and 3 others like this.
  4. K5RTW

K5RTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one for myself for Christmas. The battery life is a little short but the USB charge is handy. I like the color display. This is a solid feeling radio with good ergonomics. Signal reports are good on our local repeater. The bluetooth programming was challenging but using the keypad was pretty easy. I did not watch this guys video so no opinion there. But, I like the radio and would encourage everyone to form their opinions on their experience rather than just the usual generalizations.

5. KD1ELK

KD1ELK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do like the fact you used a camera tripod, quality camera, and bright lighting...most you tubers turn off the lights while holding a phone on record in their mouth.

I have to say I also agree with some of those above, pretty light on content. I realize we are all a bit different in what we like, but shouldn't any video on a radio include testing the radios performance? BT is cool and all, but does little good if the battery lasts 3 hours max and it has a worse front end that a Baofeng. Or maybe title the video as an unboxing type deal.

6. K5SET

K5SET Ham Member QRZ Page

I see this radio advertised for around $100.00.
    I like my $80.00 Yaesu FT4X better.

7. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is everyone so hard on the China man? Cut Mr. Chung some slack. He gives you great radios like the UV-82 that blows away Yeasu's FT3, which is an overpriced piece of "Chinese crap" that has horrible audio. I guess buying a name brand radio is worth several hundred dollars more?

N9RPE likes this.
  8. W2ORD

W2ORD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the radio capable of transmitting and receiving on appropriate marine frequencies?

9. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

"But, if you act now, you can get 5 of the radios for the price of 1! And, we'll even throw in the Ginsu!"

10. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

"Just pay a separate fee for handling and processing." :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  11. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

A radio with "ditty" in the title and no code key included? Hogwash!

PY2NEA likes this.
  12. KD8VT

KD8VT QRZ Lifetime Member #121 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wonder if it has an FCC ID tag???

13. WI4WD

WI4WD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several Yaesu HT's. A couple of Kenwood HT''s and three Baofeng's. I Do a lot of offroading in harsh areas and I purchased a GS-5B shortly after it came out and I am very happy with it. I have dropped it in the mud washed it off and it just keeps working. The antenna works better than any I received out of the box from any other manufacturer. The flashlight is silly but at this price I see it as free. Battery life on mine is great and it is nice I can charge it from a mini USB in the Jeep. The Bluetooth programing makes changes on the fly a breeze. I love mine. I use it more than any other HT I have.

14. AB6JK

AB6JK Ham Member QRZ Page

What I like about these reviews is that they are manly written by folks who have never owned and will never own this radio.

Let's clear up a few points:

1. It is not a renamed Baofeng. It is made by the Fujian Senhaix Electronics Technology Co Ltd. in Quanzhou China. Check out their website. They make some interesting commercial radios.
    2. Radioddity orders these radios with their name on it. No they don't make it any more than Apple actually makes iPhones.
    3. It is cheap only in terms of price. I paid $83.99 on Amazon.
    4. It offers features like Bluetooth programming and USB charging that you won't find elsewhere. Does not use Chirp. It has proprietary software that works very well.
    5. A review on Amazon measured its performance on a service monitor - quite impressive. Field testing confirms this on my radio.

Products made in China are the new global economic reality. We hate them for taking US jobs. We love them for the low prices. Try to buy shoes made in the this country or most any clothing. You can't. The Chinese can make very high quality products. Check out FiiO. High quality digital music players made by a Chinese company and sold in the US. Some Leica cameras are made in China. The Georg Neumann Company of Berlin makes studio headphones in China. They sell for $500. Not cheap. The best I've ever used.

Remember 60+ yeas ago when Japanese electronics were dismissed as cheap and low quality. Watch out, the Chinese are going to catch up.

Who should buy this radio? It has limited features. No digital modes. Limited frequency coverage (no air band etc.) Rugged with good performance, however. I will use it for a spare. Maybe in a emergency kit.

As a first radio it will outlast Baofengs by a wide margin. Definitely not a crappy radio.