ad: Radclub22-1

QSO Today with Greg Algieri WA1JXR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Jun 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2021-6-27_9-43-37.png
    Greg Algieri, WA1JXR, began his ham radio journey by asking his dad for a Gillette Blue Razor Blade to make this first receiver, leading to amateur radio licenses, higher electronics education, and an entire career with Raytheon, where he worked in radio and antenna design. WA1JXR is active in his amateur radio community as a teacher of new and existing hams, restoring boat anchor vintage radios, and getting on the air.

VU2USA and M1WML like this.
  2. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo Greg, tu es super devant tes vieux rossignols...Hi

M1WML likes this.
  3. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HIYA GREG!!!
    If I'm not mistaking on the right hand side of u and your shack is the venerable EF Johnson "VIKING (1)" and way back when (1965) we had a "Viking Valiant 2"" rated @ about 275 watts!!! And ur R-390 was a SWEET RECEIVER, AS I HAD A "R-390A" MADE BY THE "BENDIX CORP.!!! Great gear in their time but look at what we have now with HAM GEAR using "MICRO-PROCESSORS"!!! WHOLE NEW BALL GAME RIGHT??? Been in our HOBBY FOR 58YRS AND WE NEVER GET TIRED OF IT!!!

M1WML and K3SX like this.
  4. WB2PMC

WB2PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Greg-ex WN2GFE here. We QSOd back in 68 or 69 when we were both novices and you were WN1JXR. Glad to see so many people from years ago still active.

Rick, WB2PMC

WS4Y, M1WML and KD2ULF like this.
  5. N1ABC

N1ABC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Greg, looking good. Is that the Collins receiver I swapped with you on your left?

73's,
    George, N1ABC

M1WML likes this.
  6. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on the piece, Greg! Hope you and the CMARA folks had a great Field Day.

Hank KQ1V (ex-KA1HWP)

M1WML likes this.
  7. G0NDN

G0NDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Brilliant , especially like the vintage radios . Still trying to get my AR88 to work , the mechanics is so smooth and valve audio .

G0NDN

M1WML likes this.
  8. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

Do I spot a Johnson Navigator on top of the 75A-4?

KQ1V likes this.
  10. AJ1G

AJ1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hiya Greg! Hiya!Hiya! Just came across your work here! Great stuff. Just picked up a near mint Apache TX-1 last week, have it on the air with the old Scott SLRM, just like the setup in the attic of Bliss Hall at URI for W1KMV. Do n’t know if you knew that I left that Apache at URI for W1KMV back in 1974. I did, thinking I would soon be buying myself an S Line…still haven’t checked that box though. I did get the Apache back from URI sometime in the 90s when Brown, W1NZR and I went up there to salvage stuff from their e-debris they were otherwise going to send to the dumpster when they apparently were losing storage space. The old Apache was still there but pretty well stripped of all tubes and who knows what else, gave it away at Nearfest eventually. The new one, which looks like it was wired at and just left Benton Harbor, will be set up with a nice Mohawk and also a Marauder SSB transmitter that I came into last year. Nearly 300 pounds of vintage radio fun.

73 and all the best, Chris AJ1G ex WB2ZPS Stonington CT

11. WA1JXR

WA1JXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Mike that indeed is a Johnson Navigator. Great little CW rig. Greg

12. WA1JXR

WA1JXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Chris, Back in late 70's I had an Apache, Mohawk, and SB-10. Great Radios. 73's Greg

13. AB1EO

AB1EO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Greg, it's been a long time! Great interview. Love that old equipment!

Bob - AB1EO

14. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's a Ham Shack!

15. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WA1JXR HI GREG SINCERELLY GREETING BELIVE THE YOU CHACK radio werry nice radios vy73 DJOAJ ekrem