ad: Flexradio-1

QRZ.COM Database via APRS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE2FET, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE2FET

VE2FET Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob Bruninga's APRS, the tactical display application par excellence of hams on the move, is immensely popular because it is so useful.  Well, Sylvain, VE2FET, just made it even more so by incorporating a handy new "function" into the already sophisticated system.

From your APRS software, simply write an APRS message to DOQRZ and any amateur Call Sign as the sole Message Content.   Abracadabra and the clever interface will instantly link up to AA7BQ's world famous QRZ.COM website, fetch the station's particulars from Fred Lloyd's giant database and send them back to you on a flat bed.

All this, while you're driving at 70mph on the Interstate or elsewhere on the globe, in a car, a truck, an airplane, a boat, etc...

When your packet/APRS message is received by DOQRZ you will receive QRZ.COM info on the requested callsign.

Just try it, you'll see, it works!

Spread the word to the ones you know who use APRS.  Especially usefull when mobile or portable.

Thanks Sylvain and thanks again Fred!!!

**Note 1: DOQRZ is "Delta Oscar... not Delta Zero...".

**Note 2: Technical Note:  If you do not receive anything from DOQRZ make sure your packets reach an I-Gate station.   For questions or comments contact Sylvain directly at ve2fet@arrl.com or http://www.ve2fet.com

**Note3: If you are using UI-VIEW32.  Please make sure that in your "Messages" window that the following Option IS NOT selected.  Again, it must NOT be selected.  See under the menu OPTIONS on the "Messages" window that "Use Default Paths For Acks" IS NOT SELECTED (NO TICK).  This will tell UI-VIEW to use the same communiation path to send back the replies/Acknowledge to DOQRZ for each line received.  This is also the best way to communicate with any one.

**Note4: If you are using an APRS software (UI-VIEW32 or others) where you have an AUTOMATIC-REPLY configured, it would be better to turn it off when using a system like DOQRZ that returns you information.

Your automatic replies will be received by DOQRZ and processed as a request for QRZ.COM information.

If you must have an autoreply, just turn it back "on" after you received all the information lines from DOQRZ.

Author: Pierre, VE2ICI
    ve2ici@arrl.net

PS Image of DOQRZ in action from a user of UI-View32
    http://www.ve2fet.com/doqrz_in_uiview32.jpg

2. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's pretty slick - I'll have to try that later this week... Thanks for all your good work.

73 de Ken H>

3. AE8K

AE8K Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that is pretty useful! My club station doesn't have internet access, but it does have an old computer running APRS!

4. K3OQ

K3OQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Useful???  After playing with it for a while a few years back, I found it to be useless...with exceptions such as uses in Skywarn, weather spoting and search and rescue activities.  Other than that my opinion is that APRS is a waste of bandwidth.

5. VE2FET

VE2FET Ham Member QRZ Page

"Playing with it"?  I'm assuming you are referring to APRS.

I can understand that your lack of knowledge (referring to "playing with it") of what is and how to use APRS and its many applications is what's driving your comment about APRS.

Free UI-VIEW32 APRS software for Windows (one of them) is available here to all "licensed" Amateur Radio operators: http://www.ui-view.org/

Best 73 and have fun.
    Sylvain VE2FET
    http://www.ve2fet.com

* On APRS and APRS-IS
    VE2FET-7 Mobile
    VE2FET-8 Maritime Mobile
    VE2FET-3 Digipeater and WX Station
    VA2REH-3 Digi and Telemetry data from repeater
    VE2REH-1 Digi and Telemetry data from repeater

6. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

>All this, while you're driving at 70mph on the Interstate or elsewhere on the globe, in a car, a truck, an airplane, a boat, etc..<

I Trust you were joking about that line of your post..

73 Jerry

7. N7OKL

N7OKL Ham Member QRZ Page

I would sure hope so as well......

Texting while driving at all is not exactly very safe....

Might be why so many states are making it illegal..

Mel
    N7OKL

8. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

After talking about APRS with a policeman friend I decided against using it on a continuous basis in any of my vehicles.

It's just too easy for someone with an intent to harm to find you on the internet this way. That could include almost anything from car-jacking to kidnapping to robbery.

If I had a young child, especially a daughter, I would think twice before broadcasting their location on the internet using APRS.

tim ab0wr

9. KD7IBA

KD7IBA Ham Member QRZ Page

My Law Enforcement friends run APRS. APRS is only on when I am in the car but my non-Ham xyl knows how to turn on and use the D700 and IC-706 in an emergency. As soon as the D700 is turned on it beacons it's position as the GPS is always on. I think that's a good thing if she needs help. I also get wx alerts, accident and road condition reports and Amber alerts, also good things. You can also send an email and if you have a boat it is better than a 406 EPIRB as it shows a history of your course even if you don't have time to deploy your EPIRB. Not sure about DOQRZ though. 73, Nate

10. KE7CDV

KE7CDV Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose that if it's a spur-of-the-moment thing and they even know what APRS is (probably well under 1% of people do?), yes... but if they have a premeditated intent to do you harm, presumably they already know where to find you (at school, work, follow you home, etc.) anyway.

I'd agree, that sure, there's a chance someone is just going to watch you on APRS and come and carjack you when they see you're in the middle of nowhere, but I think you're talking about odds there that are still many order of magnitude less than, e.g., simply being involved in a car crash. :)

APRS-like technologies have far more significant negative uses when it comes to things like your boss knowing that you frequent his competitor's store, people finding out that you've attended meetings of "radical" political groups or "cult" religious groups, your insurance company knowing you routinely speed or that you routinely eat at McDonalds, etc.

---Joel

11. KD4ITI

KD4ITI Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought there was a call book look-up on APRS...

send msg to: WHO-IS
    with the text of the msg the call sign to look up ......

12. N8NOE

N8NOE Ham Member QRZ Page

The ( DOQRZ ) works here, but I tried the ( WHO-IS ) and Nothing.. The DOQRZ would be nice running the TH-D7 and working the Back-Pack in the Park. Seems APRS has died off some in the past few Years, but I have been going 24/7 for some years now and try pointing out some benefits to others in the area.. Thanks for the Heads up on the DOQRZ..!..

13. N9LYA

Hi Tim...

I understand your concern... However, I have had times when it was a godsend to have it...

It is sure a shame that some may use this for harm...

My wife a HAM KC9DDP was lost and she called me to ask for help.. I was able to go to my work PC and log in to findu and talk her back to safety...

A freinds car was stolen.. obviously the crook new nothing of APRS and was thus quickly caught when he took his laptop to the police and showed them its exact location..

Now on to ur concern..

I have been running trackers in some of my vehicles for 10 years... Yes I am sure the potiential is there.. But I have had no problems at all...

Everything has potenital to be used for good and bad.. It is up to each of us to take certain precaution in all we do...

If you feel safer with not using APRS that is cool..

73 Jerry N9LYA [​IMG]

14. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I just don't see where that is handy.....

15. N9LYA

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

I like it, it is handy to me..

Like any aspect of Ham Radio.. To Each his own..

No justification is warranted.. If you do not like it simply do not use it...

No Need to debate what is or is not Handy...

73 Jerry N9LYA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.