ad: M2Ant-1

'National SOS Radio Network' proposed

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

'National SOS Radio Network' - based on millions of FRS 'Family Radio Service' radios already in use plus 675,000 ham radio operators across America

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, it's become clear that a major contributing factor to the tragic loss of life was the near total breakdown of communication systems.

Once electricity, telephone, and cell phone services failed, people were unable to let rescuers know of their dire situations - and died as a result.

A simple, instant, and virtually zero-cost solution:
    "Establish a National SOS Radio Network," says Eric Knight, CEO of UP Aerospace, Inc.

Read more:
    National SOS Radio Network

2. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm Glad you posted this. I'v thought of having a GMRS/FRS and 2M Ham combo net for some time well before Katrina. It would be a E-comm practice net with FRS users checking into a Local Ham Station then the Ham passing the info via simplex or Repeater to other Hams or the County EOC. The National ...---... Network is a great Idea. I think it should include (Nomex Underwear on) 11 Meter (CB) Radios also. Near major Highways CB would be usefull due to the Truckers on the road.
    73 de Rick KC2ESD

3. K5EHX

K5EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a very intriguing idea, and here's a really insightful way to implement it from KS4NB

http://nationalsos.com/ideas/viewtopic.php?t=4

4. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We already have a 'National SOS Radio Network'...

CB Channel 9!

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh great, we already have the 11 meter band, full of characters to rival the bar scene in Star Wars.  Imagine that times about a 1000+.  Maybe we could hand out a FRS radio along with the free condoms in the public schools.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah,if you speak spanish-
    or if you can get past the spanish speaking individuals
    on 9.

in the words of the great"spongebob somethingorother":

"allrighteythen...good luck with that."
    [​IMG]

7. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

XR and BNC:

The humor of my comment was evidently lost on the both of you.

You two need to lighten up.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

sorry.
    misread the acronym:
    same 'ole s#$t
    my mistake. [​IMG]

9. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

Richard's idea may work in the UK but here it would be a major disaster in itself. We hams already have all the bases covered and sure as hell don't need outside interference! FRS is extremely short range (1,000' if you're lucky) so that's out without question.

Bringing CB into the mix is a sure recipe for disaster, they are clueless as to proceedure in handling any sort of emergency communications, a stone cold fact proven time and time again, I was a CBer and saw it all over and over. REACT??? All well and good for calling police to the scene of an auto accident, beyond that they lose thier grip on reality, I WAS a member. (Embarrassing, isn't it?)

In the late 60s (long before CB went down the hole) I was in Civil Defense, remember the yellow goonie boxes? We decided to use CB as an adjunct, channel 9 and all that, but the first time it hit the fan CB proved itself worse than useless. Actions of the local CBers (including REACT) were crippling to first responders because of all the do-gooders that blocked access to an oil refinery explosion and fire with their vehicles while making channel 9 sound like a hornet's nest. In town was one with a big "leenyar" directing traffic (HA!) and his booming signal made all CB communications in the county impossible. The police had their hands full so it took hours getting tow trucks and officers to remove the vehicles from the plant entrances so emergency vehicles could pass, meanwhile the plant FD had to go it alone.

And you want THAT handling an emergency in YOUR area? I think not, I'd rather juggle hand grenades while tap dancing in a mine field.

10. N1BHH

N1BHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's keep an open mind here. Let's not discount any ideas. There are several  CERT teams that use FRS radios. Yeah, you know there's a rotten apple or two in every bushel, but this kind of activity should have some minimal training involved and I don't mean a 500 hour course that cover everything. Just some basic radio procedures, knowing who your local hams [ARES and RACES] are and keeping a short list of essential phone numbers - of safety agencies & hospitals - in your wallet is always the way to go. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.