ad: k1jek

More sunspots will be on their way.

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AA1EZ, Sep 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA1EZ

AA1EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This chart looks promising:
    The_High_Frequency_Oracle_Prognostication_of_2018_for_Solar_Cycle_25_c_2018_Bonnie_Crystal_c.jpg

2. AI6OZ

AI6OZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO and MSBETTYHUNT like this.
  3. N3UML

N3UML Ham Member QRZ Page

thank goodness its on an upswing again maybe i can get 10 more good years of operating mobile before they pull my drivers license or my life expectancy.....hihi

K4NEB, N6WHC, KG5EYC and 2 others like this.
  4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Predictions are tough to get right, especially those concerning the FUTURE.

M0KBO, W7UUU and KU4X like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Posted before:
    Will we reached the all-time record, so far in 2019 there has been 278 days without sunspots.

But don't worry about it because good operators are making DX contacts everyday, even on a long path.

With the sun conditions like they are, it might be a good time to put up some good 160 to 40 meter antennas!! The guys that are making all the DX contacts now, did that a few years ago!
    They learned something after the 2008 year that had no sun spots for 268 days.
    Just look at the following year 2009 and guess how many days without sunspots??
    So Don't get too excited yet about a new solar cycle and about all these so-called expert predictions.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  6. W9COM

W9COM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve had some decent and some not so decent contacts on hf this year. My question is with the chart posted what is a decent sunspot number 25, 50, etc. I know more the better but when will we notice better propagation

7. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just joined this site. Heard someone on 40 CW mention it. Getting back on the air after years of being silent. First on in 1957 when conditions were very different....the good old days for HF prop.

is this intense and periodic QRN the normal now?

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what bands you're using or where you're located, but I haven't seen any increase in QRN during the nonstorm months.
    However something that is very apparent all through the country is increased General noise because of electronic and consumer RFI interference which is everywhere, since you been off for years this may be what you're hearing.
    Some of the signals almost sound like static, clicks and lightning (QRN).

Welcome back on the air, you'll be able to operate effectively when you get used to it.

Some of the modern rigs help also, check your home for Consumer devices such as LEDs, inverters, electric controllers, even the HVAC systems now have them, and small warts, they can cause tremendous problems.
    I've been talking to a number of baby boomers who are just now getting back on HF and you're going to enjoy it even with low sunspot activity 160 to 20 meter have been good. 40 behaves a lot like the 20 You Used To Know!

9. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like the highs are near the time my house is paid off,,,,, ,

10. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

i still have my old log books of the early 80s with my notes amazing propagation, i will never forget and i hope it all comes back
    these new guys have never experience these type of conditions, i hope they do, is crazy!.

11. K6VIB

K6VIB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, now those were the days my friend-- (Wkipedia) Solar cycle 19 was the nineteenth solar cycle since 1755, when extensive recording of solar sunspot activity began.[1][2] The solar cycle lasted 10.5 years, beginning in April 1954 and ending in October 1964. The International Geophysical Year occurred at the peak of this solar cycle.

12. KG5EYC

KG5EYC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

13. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to get my wet noodle out and work the high bands... I can't wait.

14. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine, too, especially hearing my own signal travel around the world on 20 CW one night. Took me a while to believe it, so I called CQ & got four continents coming back at once. Good times.

15. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Join us on EME and you will care less :)

K0UO likes this.