ad: wmr-1

MFJ PowerPole Strips

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

So there are no real estate agents, car salesmen, retailers, etc. who are Freemasons? I happen to know many salesmen who are salesmen in one industry or another. And if it offends you that I have my masonic pin on the work bench, oh well.

WE4B and KA9JLM like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ is about as close as you can get.

On a sad note "Built in the U.S.A." Does not mean Better. :rolleyes:

Popcorn grown in another country can be Made in the U.S.A. :)

3. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get the hate. Some people need to get a life.

KC1DR, K6MTS, G0JEK and 2 others like this.
  4. DU3LA

DU3LA Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KA3CTP

KA3CTP Ham Member QRZ Page

who is he calling a wing nut?

6. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I use "Anderson Power Poles" (APP) from a variety of sources: Power Werx, unknown Amazon vendors, and even MFJ. I use APP-type distribution blocks with fuses from MFJ and Sota Beams.

I made a list of all the different non-APP approaches to hooking up power beside APP in this thread: Lugs & washers, wire nuts, nut & washer, banana plug, equipment plugs, choc blocks, screw connectors, car distribution blocks, terminal blocks, lugs and car fuse blocks. All fine in YOUR shack.

But, what happens on Field Day... or that future day at the neighborhood emergency communications center at the local fire department, community center or rural hospital? ... NONE of y'all are quickly or easily power inter-connectable! I remember the days of the 10 amp Radio Shack molex connector for power compatibility. What a joke! I had to use two or three in parallel to power a 100 watt transceiver.

The Anderson Power Pole is a much better, proven and reliable power connector. I know SOME hams/techs have problems making them work, but if you follow directions and use the proper tools along with the proper type & gauge wire in the correct finger connectors... they flat out work. I have an LED tester I built from plans on the Internet to check all APP connector power sources to check for proper polarity. No problems. Ever.

G0JEK, W9PCS and KB2SMS like this.
  7. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No surprise, when the video shows the inside of the first unit 1in 6 out, even on the small screen of my phone, I saw two very badly soldered joints..
    MFJ clearly have no quality control procedure...
    If the MFJ products were manufactured and assembled "in house" it ought to be mandatory to train, teach, and verify every assembly worker to solder properly.. There should be someone checking the populated boards before final assembly.. This looks less like a stage by stage monitored production line, and more like a product by product assembly line where each operative has to multi task, populate each board, solder, and assemble the product thus eliminating the possibility of quality control.. That's why one product will be reasonably made while another will be badly soldered and assembled.
    This stinks of cheap labor, brought in and trained in 5 minutes on a new product...
    Cheaply made but sold expensively to a market of buyers that are not capable of making their own equipment.
    Or those with too much money and not enough time or inclination to make their own.
    Shure any compedent ham with a soldering iron, can open up his latest purchase and resolder all the bad connections, but why pay over the top for a cheaply made product that you then have to inspect and correct all the errors at your own cost..
    I will never buy or use mfj products because I know if I don't first pull it apart and repair it, it will do a nasty at some point and fail.. Possibly taking out another piece of equipment with it.
    Any company too lazy to insure that it's operatives on the production line are compedent and correctly trained, is just a front, for yet another cheap nasty Chinese backstreet manufacturer...
    So if MFJ is synomonous with poor quality despite its high prices..why does it sell.
    There will be people out there who can't design or make their own materiel, but simple products like these ought to be within the grasp of most hams, and I urge you to take the effort to design and make your own.. Shure look at the product, then think of ways to improve upon the design, and to tailor it to your own personal requirements and make one yourself.
    You will have the pleasure and comfort of knowing its well designed, well made, and finished with a personal touch matching exactly you own requirements... Now who wouldn't want that... So go on, you can easily do better...

8. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of these made by MFJ, never failed me. I dont mind using MFJ stuff, lots of times thats what most new hams can afford.

9. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Power Poles? There are much better options available.