ad: AbAuRe-1

MFJ PowerPole Strips

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: l-rl
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you run power in your shack or even when portable doing POTA or SOTA? The easiest way to get the power where you need it is via PowerPoles! MFJ has no shortage on PowerPoles! In this video I will show you inside and out of the PowerPole Strips MFJ 1106, 1124 and 1126. The MFJ-1106 is perfect for a small shack, portable, POTA or SOTA, while the MFJ-1124 and MFJ-1126 can stream line the power in your shack!

NN6A, N9UO, KB9OAK and 3 others like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Got a big bowl of popcorn out just for the comments. This should be a doozy. ;)

AA8GK, NX6ED, KI5AAI and 2 others like this.
  3. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Pretty much. Any time the word Baofeng or MFJ is mentioned, it's always a "show".

AA8GK, N2YQT, KP4SX and 3 others like this.
  4. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

In BOLD:
    "The easiest way to get the power where you need it is via PowerPoles!"

That would be an opinion, not a fact. I use other methods for connecting power to my radio gear. None use PowerPoles.

Your post sounds more like an advertisement than anything else.

2E0HVK, WJ6F and K9GLS like this.
  5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Why would you buy a copy-cat rip-off product cheaply made? I smell a rat that stinks like a used car salesman. I also find the OP's avatar extremely offensive, Mason's do not sell anything.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    2E0HVK, N3FAA and KI5AAI like this.
  6. AC6E

AC6E QRZ Lifetime Member #338 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't know much about the MFJ power strips. I don't own one. But I think there are a couple of things to consider. While MFJ does make "cheap" stuff, and many of their items are copies of other items available from other manufacturers they do provide good access to the hobby for many hams. They have a no-matter-what warrantee. I also think nearly every ham has a product that MFJ makes. They have acquired a long list of brands. Yeah, I know, there are quality issues, I have heard about, and experienced all of the problems. But I still keep buying stuff that I want or need for the shack. Judge me if you like.

All of these product review videos, especially ones where the manufacturer provides the products being reviewed for free are advertisements. I don't think you can say that there is a rat here. When I ran the video it ran with text that said: "Video includes paid promotion". Didn't feel like anyone was trying to hide anything. On the other hand if you were in the market for a power strip for your shack, and you were comparing maybe the video would be helpful. I watched the video because I was interested in seeing how the MFJ power strips were shaping up. When I bought my power strip from West Mountain radio nearly 25 years ago, MFJ didn't have a power strip.

WA2DZO, W9EBE, WJ6F and 4 others like this.
  7. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Rigrunner 4008 here, works very well. Got it years ago.

N5LB and WJ6F like this.
  8. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Power Poles are great for ease of use. So are lugs and wing nuts & those aren't made by MFJ. ;)

KC1DR, K6QI and KF4ZKU like this.
  9. K1TWH

K1TWH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, and here I've been using wire nuts for close to 50 years, just call me droopy ;) <Tom K1TWH

KF4ZKU and W2TAD like this.
  10. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

wow a nut and washer does just fine on my power supply for the passed 26 years

KF4ZKU and W2TAD like this.
  11. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. Banana plugs for past 40 years have worked just fine for me.

KI5AAI likes this.
  12. K6JPM

K6JPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some time ago I wanted to clean-up all the power cables in my shack so I bought an MFJ-1118 power strip. The unit looks nice and lets me make all my power cable runs look a lot better than the rat's nest I had.
    But, for what it is I think it is overpriced. Metal case with silk screening, a cheap switch, cheap meter, and ok connection lugs. I was curious what was inside so took it apart and was amazed at the very low quality construction techniques that must have passed for "OK" at the factory....bad connections/cold joints and a potential dead short on the power input side. I re-wired and re-soldered the unit and have been using it with no problem ever since. I am happy with it and it does the job but I would never buy another one. I would buy a few parts and make my own next time. Funny thing is I was aware of MFJ's quality but I figured "how can you screw up a power strip?" Hi Hi!

13. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

There is a reason there is an acronym of Mostly F***** Junk. Fortunately we have become a "good enough for what it is" society and accept mediocrity and whatever the expert used car salemen of Youtube tell us to get. Thankfully most "hams" wouldn't ever open the case up to see the quality. If I spent $50 on a metal case and some AP connectors and "only have to touch up the solder joints" I would be hot pissed. Now back to my popcorn. Carry on.

VE3VXO, KR3DX and W2TAD like this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't click on the vids as these are not to educate but instead promote both the poster and whatever junk they are pushing. I am sorry but MFJ make junk courtesy of the Chinese Communist government. Don't care what kind of poverty the Ham is in as it far better to buy quality and have something that will last.
    If you want power poles invest in the crimper and the parts to make them instead and look at the kits here https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/powerpole-distribution-block-kit.742330/

You will get some valuable experience in building and support American business.

Always weird that whenever we get a good vid that shows you something the knock off vids appear within a few days. Couple of good posters have left or reduced their posting here over that kind of riding on ones coattails.

2E0HVK, KR3DX, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  15. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it's good to know that Anderson Power Products is a subsidiary of Ideal Industries, which also happens to have an office in Hong Kong. So there's a fair chance that our beloved Power Poles are manufactured in China too...

N2YQT, W1SRR, KF4ZKU and 2 others like this.