ad: MLSons-1

Message in a bottle found on VK0M by sub-Antarctic station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Nov 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Might be faster than the bureau.
    Mike N3PM

KE8BPZ likes this.
  2. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. N9RUN

N9RUN Ham Member QRZ Page

The lyrics are from The Police's Message in a Bottle

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

From The Reg article cited in OP, a comment by "SquidEmperor",

OK - Quick update

[1]. I Still have not been able to contact the bottle tosser
    [2]. Now have a name (Malgorzata ), a profession (Doctor) and a full email address
    * Malgorzata is derived from the Greek word margarita (μαργαρίτα) meaning "pearl". It is equivalent to the English "Margaret"
    [3]. A fellow passenger has emailed Malgorzata and some other passengers who were also on the trip to see if we can get in touch with her
    [4]. I've shared this information (and the full email which I won't share here for privacy) with the Australian Antarctic Division so they can forward the details to Stella Thomas who works for them and was the person who found the bottle

So in summary the bottle was indeed dropped off the vessel M/V Ortelius whilst it was off-shore of Bouvet Island on (we assume) April 6 2015 by a Polish Doctor named Malgorzata who various individuals are endeavouring to contact to let her know that her bottle has been received.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. VE7IAF

VE7IAF Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the way you think.

---tony

6. YO6EX

YO6EX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a bottle of 700 mL red wine very common in Europe. :)

Attached Files:

W0PV likes this.
  7. AK4P

AK4P Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

8. K7NQB

K7NQB Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a fun read. I looked up Chips call, its legit.
    I also Google Earthed your Island. Looked like a short walk end to end.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  9. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I launched a message in a bottle in the mid Atlantic in 1981(?). The ship I was on found itself out there along with Hurricane Harvey. Each weather report we received kept saying the storm's position had been "relocated" since the prior report, whatever that meant. Of course we were trying our best to avoid it so the relocation business didn't really inspire confidence in the reports. We were submitting our own weather reports periodically.

Anyhow, one way or the other, the Captain and I got the bright idea to send a weather report in a bottle (a Jack Daniel's empty, if I recall; drinking aboard ship was still legal in those days). The message was "Hurricane Harvey blows..." plus the date, time, position and vessel name. I always wondered if anyone ever found it. Maybe it's still out there...