ad: cq2k-1

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 - A different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OLDARCHER

OLDARCHER QRZ Member

I understand the arguments for and against tuners, both manual and automatic. It’s something that is visceral, and of course personal. Hopefully, not of such importance to resurrect the practice of dueling, but it is a potential bone of contention.

What little I’ve learned, and yes, I’m a 70 y.o. newbie to this, I’ve learned from reading and watching the offerings of Julian, (OH8STN), and Thomas Witherspoon. Being warehoused in an assisted living facility is not fun, nor recommended, for those who have not given-up hope. These gentlemen have rekindled it in me… I’ve got my TX-500 paid for, and on order through HRO, and will next buy an Elecraft T-1 ATU and an Emtech (factory built, both of them) ZM-2, with BNC connectors. For now, I have a RadioWavz Pathfinder Mk1 EFHW (160-6M), and will later get either a Chameleon MPAS 2.0, or Super Antenna MP1LXMAX, both from HRO.

Thank-You All, for being here, and for being such great examples of what, and who, Ham Operators are…

KE8OKM and AJ6KZ like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You may find that experimenting with odd bits or lengths of wire and/or metallic tubing with that Emtech tuner can be a lot of fun - and deem the Chameleon and Super Antenna as expensive and boring. I have very fond memories of building my first antenna tuner as a novice over 50 years ago. I had an absolute blast loading up all manner of oddball things as an "antenna" - metal lawn chairs, screen doors, coat hangers, etc. It was one of those hobbies within a hobby. Silly? Sure it was. Fun? Absolutely.

Me: ANT HR IS 10 SPEED BICYCLE FRAME - BK TO U - HW CPY?

heh

But to each his or her own, eh?

Glad to hear your hope has been rekindled. Keep that fire going and well maintained, friend.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. OLDARCHER

OLDARCHER QRZ Member

Thank-You, Sir, for the rapid response!

I would like to build electronics gear, but after various health conditions and events, my hands, eyesight, and hearing are not what they once were… A hot soldering iron might not be in my, or others, best interests… My last was sixty years plus ago, having made a wonderful Heath Kit shortwave receiver. When I got back from overseas, my radio had been trashed, and life went on…

I’m drawn to the twisting of dials and knobs, pushing buttons, and trying to work Magick out of the set… The connectors on the TX-500 are quite reminiscent of what we had in the service. Call it nostalgia, but all considered an important time in my life. The TX-500 is built well, and I intend to ask the Lab599 folks if using a light silicon bead around the seam surrounding the outside might not be inappropriate. The connectors are a dream, well proven over the years… I have time, perhaps, though who knows how long?
    Speed if for you you young folks, and I can no longer get off the porch, and run with the Big Dawgs…

This is part and parcel of my “bucket list.” My children, my cat, and my newly found love of ham radio, are what keep me going. Must no forget my Elmer and his wife, for they helped kindle the fire… They have been of inestimable help…

I see, here in this thread, the questioning of the validity of the impetus toward EMCOMM…. My Elmer and his wife live in Texas, and saw others that suffered. Hams in Texas, and other states so affected, helped many who otherwise might have suffered great depredation. I’ll never forget what my Elmer said to me, when I asked what HAM stood for…

“Helping All Mankind” was his answer… Don’t know if that’s right, but it’s good enough for me, as it’s something I’ve done all of my life- helping others.

Ham’s may not be the best of all kinds of people, for after all, they are “just” people. However, who else can people turn to, when disaster strikes, and the infrastructure fails? Who’s not constrained by phone lines or the internet? At least with the Ham Operator, there can be hope that “the word” will get out. Since the Pony Express doesn’t run any more, and CB only goes so far, and not to forget, that new-dangled DRM is constrained to repeaters etc., who is left?

I see the Ham Operator as the 21st Century Town Crier. It’s still an important function, and the way the world is going, may again rise to a position of vital need in the survival of homes, towns, and perhaps even nations. If there is need, hopefully, Hams will be ready, willing, and able to stand in the gap, and be ready to serve- “Helping All Man…”

WN1MB and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. OLDARCHER

OLDARCHER QRZ Member

My apologies for my inattention and grammar. One sentence above should have read, “Speed is for you young folks, and I can no longer get off the porch, and run with the Big Dawgs…” I do wish I knew how to edit my mistakes…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.