ad: M2Ant-1

ICOM IC-9700 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone !

Here is a complete review of the ICOM IC-9700, a high-end 2M (VHF), 70 cm and 23 cm (UHF) transceiver using SDR technology.

73 Pascal VA2PV

IC-9700_Thumb.jpg

K2NCC, K0UO, KC5OMC and 8 others like this.
  2. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, thanks for the review. I can only dream of getting one someday!

NC4CW and VA2PV like this.
  3. VA2PV

Thanks Ross. 73

4. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done Pascal. You exercised more of the rigs capabilities than I have or will. Also there is a user group at ic-9700@groups.io .

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    EL Paso, TX

K2NCC and VA2PV like this.
  5. VA2PV

Thanks Larry. 73 Pascal VA2PV

6. M0DPX

M0DPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Pascal its frank here,and as always your video's are brilliant, everything is running ok on my 9700 in D-STAR mode,i must add that the quality and clarity of the RX audio in D-STAR mode is perfect.the 9700 is a awesome rig for sure and i am more than happy with mine :) thanks again for your help Pascal. 73 Frank M0DPX

VA2PV likes this.
  7. 9A0S

9A0S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got one. Can you tell me is there a way to set FM Tx bandwidth?
    I have 12.5 kHz channel spacing in IARU R1 and am worried about it.
    Someone said that filter (FIL) with 3 set values affects both Rx and Tx on FM but I can't find any reference in the manual.
    The scope does show change using different filters on Tx but that doesn't mean that much.

8. M6EVR

M6EVR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

wow fantastic video, I have 9700 so now im going to have a play

9. M0DPX

M0DPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi MARIO ive looked through the settings menu and can not find any way to set the Tx bandwidth on FM manually, so unless the bandwidth does change via the filters i cant give anymore advice. good luck 73 m0dpx

10. G1ZRN

G1ZRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Shame that Icom didn't allow different levels of mic gain across the different modes in the firmware.

A couple of stations locally have 9700s and they sound awful on DSTAR with the default 50% mic gain but when they reduce the gain to an acceptable level (still not as good as the 5100) then they get complaints when they switch to FM that they are hardly audible.

I thought about getting one myself but the audio on DSTAR is no where near as good as the 5100 or even the 7100.

Mike G1ZRN.

AD4ZU likes this.
  11. 9A0S

9A0S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As stated in the manual and overlooked, IF filters FIL2 and FIL3 set the Transmit to FM narrow mode which is about 11 kHz, confirmed by ICOM.

VA2PV and AK5B like this.
  12. VA2PV

On the touchscreen display, push and hold the "FIL1", the filter setting will pop up, there's 3 presets 15, 10 and 7 k. See NH7RO post. There's no TX setting in the menu like there is for SSB. 73 Pascal VA2PV.

13. PB5X

PB5X QRZ Lifetime Member #150 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Pascal,

Another great video from you. Always like watching them ;-)

73 Roberto PB5X

14. KC0BRA

KC0BRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to get a a mixer for FM it would not play nice with my Heil PR781 it was real low i had to close talk the mic it was real low they need to fix that