ad: M2Ant-1

ICOM IC-705 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone, here's my detailed review of the ICOM IC-705. If you are already an owner of this unit, this video covers the essentials of the operator's manual. Thank you and 73 from Pascal VA2PV.

IC-705_review_thumb.jpg

YD5NJN, TA1APU, KP4JM and 7 others like this.
  2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting. I watched the video. Well done, very informative. I have to say, the little 705 is really packed with features.
    Barry, KU3X/QRP

VA2PV, WA6QGH, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

90% of the people who own a QRP Transceiver are either running an amplifier with them or looking for an amplifier for them & I just don't see the point when you can buy a full output radio & just turn down the output? Far less expensive in the long run.With current band conditions QRP makes Zero sense on any band.

Clayton
    W4KVW

W9FL, K3DGR, WZ1P and 4 others like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Yeah but the rush of contacting the Slovak Republic on 5 watts SSB can't be beat. In a pileup...but I digress.

M1WML, KI7JLL, KD5BVX and 4 others like this.
  5. W2SGM

W2SGM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to feel the same way until I tried to take a full output radio portable and found my batteries were being drained during receive 3x faster than a QRP radio.

M1WML, KD5BVX, SA5QED and 4 others like this.
  6. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For Fun/Challenge I have been running 2.5W FT8 into a 50cm Magloop Indoors on 17M ... Over @ 40 days... 82 DXCC & 34 States
    I have decoded 108 DXCC's during that period, I had a report from VK, but not a QSO

Attached Files:

K3USR, M1WML, W0TRS and 9 others like this.
  7. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you as always, Pascal. Look forward to your "manpack" edition of the 705 and the vertical that you select.

3 members of my local club have picked up the 705 this month. Two of them are also KX3 owners. The 705 doesn't really fit my operating needs, but it has grabbed the ham radio community's attention!

VA2PV and M1WML like this.
  8. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you get that 90% statistic from? I have mine in the backpack and I am just loving it, great receiver got the mAT tuner for HF TX and a couple of portable antennas, what's not to love, I have done the QRP plus amplifier, I prefer this more pure QRP operation, I have a LifePO4 battery and full 10 watts , 73 Geoff

M1WML, KC0JGE, W0TRS and 4 others like this.
  9. GW0HUS

GW0HUS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you think that way use ECHOLINK then you do no even need a radio or have to have a license ..!!!

M1WML likes this.
  10. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably the best of the review videos of the 705 I've seen. I can certainly see the attraction of it for people who want to flip between pairing it with a linear at home and operating portable. It's quite possible I will end up doing that myself with it. You can work plenty of DX with 10W. I am not far off DXCC with 10W from operating portable a few times a month over the last 6 months.

VA2PV, M1WML and K0UO like this.
  11. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tell you what, you take your QRO rig, power supply, and antenna on a hike up a mountain and I'll take my QRP rig, battery, radio, and lunch. We'll see who gets there and on the air and makes a contact first. :)

The other day, I chased POTA activators while sitting next to a pond in the woods and watching ducks try to land on ice. :D Owls were hooting off in the distance. I got a little fresh air and some Vitamin D.

Yup. Even better when it's a station you've set up at your campsite and you're operating next to the fire. :)

That's all I do now, operate portable on battery power.

Some hams just can't imagine there are people who don't want to be tethered to mains power and operate indoors. Some of us relish the challenge of setting up a station on a remote peak or while camping, overcoming the challenges of the site, and getting on the air. Every day is field day. The 705 looks like another rig worthy of that activity. It's amazing, when I got into ham radio, there were maybe two purpose built QRP radios and one of them wasn't a great choice for field work. Now we have easily half a dozen multi-mode radios and as many more CW-specific ones. Batteries have improved too. No longer are we limited to heavy SLA batteries, we have all manner of Lithium Ion, LiPo, and LifePo batteries weighing a fraction of their ancestors and putting out more power. It's a great time to be a portable operator.

Chris

M1WML, AG6QR, N4KCD and 11 others like this.
  12. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Any Computer can make an FT8 contact but making real QSO's with a microphone are far more difficult & I have heard DX Stations wasting long periods of time doing all they can do trying to work a QRP Station while hundreds & hundreds are waiting because the station has no regard for the other stations in a pileup.I don't find that very thoughtful to other operators & a bit selfish on the part of the QRP stations.I run QRO so I make the contact & I'm out of the way & I Rarely ever call more than twice unless the DX is working Split & then when I find them twice is about the maximum that it ever takes.I'd rather be working 8 or 10 QSO's & not clogging up a frequency than maybe one & holding everyone up.I also make ALL of the QSO's from my station & it's Never from a computer just Phone.I find it far more courteous working them & moving on so everyone gets a chance.That's my 2 cents & I spent it well. :);):p:cool:

Clayton
    W4KVW

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Merci Beaucou ! :cool:
    Nice description. Stay safe and warm up there.
    G3SEA/KH6

VA2PV, M1WML and W2TXB like this.
  14. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

On what planet is that "rude". It is the DX station's CHOICE to make contact with whomever they want. If they want to work the QRP station, great for them.

Is there a priority for working a station? I mean, is it the loudest and strongest signals that should be worked first? Then the DX station needs to work their way down to the weaker signals?

I think many people forget this is a hobby. QRP is part of the hobby. Working any station is part of the hobby.

M6WRB, AK7AN, M1WML and 8 others like this.
  15. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

90% ? I’d love to read where you got that figure from.

I know a tremendous amount of hams that run QRP. Of them, one has an amp to go with his KX3. The amp’s only use is when he operates mobile. Since he purchased his new truck and did not install his KX3 in it, the amp now just collects dust. Other than when he operated mobile with the amp, his KX3 is used strictly as a stand alone QRP radio. As a matter of fact, he mostly uses it at the one half watt level.

I’ve operated QRP for 44 years. Once I purchased my first dedicated QRP radio, I NEVER used an amp with it.

Sure, there are hams that do in fact use an amp with their QRP radio, but 90%? No way.

One mistake a lot of new hams make is to buy a radio, like the FT817 / 818 that covers some many bands, but don’t realize what QRP is. “Uh Oh ?...I need more power.” They may not have an Elmer or just don’t think it through? Or maybe they are on a shoe string budget and can't just buy and sell radios.

Barry, KU3X/QRP

M1WML, W0TRS, K8PG and 2 others like this.