ad: MLSons-1

ICOM IC-705 Feature Walk-Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Sep 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Still ignoring many features, functions, and pricing to fit your assertion.

FT3DR is a kludge of an HT. Lot's of negative posts about it.

FT-891 $610
    FT3DR $360
    Kenwood D-74 $500
    Total $1470

2. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What features and functions would be absent from any combo of those three radios besides SSB/AM VHF/UHF at 10 watts? 5 if on battery?

3. K8HIT

All of us have the capability to read up on what these units can and cannot do.

Take a look here for some ideas

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  4. K8HIT

Really, with the same features and function?

5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Never unless you include 6m in VHF (technically it is, but most folks are talking about 2m when they say "VHF"). I did say I could live without that feature (on 2m and 70cm).

I do use SSB and AM with 6m, but not often enough to pay extra for it.

Chris

6. KI4POT

Cheaper yes, but not sure about far less weight. It's $1200 and 2.4lbs with battery pack. "Cheaper" rules out the Elecraft radios, which are lighter. Lighter rules out the Xeigu G90 (It's reported by actual owners as weighing in at about 3lbs). The Xiegu 5150 may be lighter, it certainly is on paper. I haven't weighed my 817, but it's about 2lbs on paper.

Of those three (5 including Elecraft's KX2/3), only the 817 comes close to the 705 functionally (band and mode support), while being lighter and cheaper. However, it leaves out features some, maybe not all, find useful.

It's not for me, but I can see the 705 being valuable to someone who wants to do "all the things" while in the field. I don't know why you're all worked up over this though, if you don't think it's for you, don't buy one. :)

Chris

K0UO likes this.
  7. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked up? I'd hardly call friendly banter about the pros and cons of a radio "worked up." Just different sides of a coin.

I'll make sure to be the friendly shill on the next thread.

8. KM6CS

KM6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's worst feature is that it is unavailable!

K8HIT likes this.
  9. KI4POT

That wasn't my intent, you just seemed invested in the idea that the 705 was bad in some way and your preferred combination of the 891 and an HT was superior (without qualifying the requirements or expected user outcome). From my vantage point of not being in the market for one, it seems a pretty solid choice for someone looking for a do *everything* field rig.

I suppose neither of us will know until a few hundred of these start appearing in the wild.

Chris

10. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo!

11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've already commented on the 705 several times above but I do need clarification. Can a handicap person use motorized vehicles for SOTA?

12. KI4POT

Nothing specific in the rules. They can drive up to a summit if it's a drive-up, but they can't operate from the car (assuming no special dispensation for being handicapped). That's why there are drive-up summits, to make it accessible to all.

Chris

13. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I lug an FT-891 with or without an external tuner and a 12v/20Ah LiFePo for SOTA and POTA :)

WN1MB likes this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm suddenly imagining this thread devolving into rants about how SOTA is exclusionary, hordes of wheelchair and scooter bound hams occupying SOTA peaks in protest, complete with HLM tee shits, though all compliantly wearing proper PPE and maintaining safe social distancing, of course...

NN6D and K0UO like this.
  15. KK6ZHJ

KK6ZHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are recalling an episode of family guy, Angry Crippleton.