ad: ProAudio-1

HAMS interested in following stories of UFO encounters

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K5HUM, Dec 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Starting as a youngster, I spent decades doing 'UFO research' which included actual sightings. Also countless hours of reading. One interesting military project I read about was where the military would go to elaborate lengths to fake UFOs and then monitor what made it to the news and the police and the telephone operators. They would then compare that info with what really happened. This was all for the purpose of flying real top secret aircraft around and being able to tell how accurate civilian reports of the aircraft were going to be.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This happened at the NWS station I was doing Skywarn at. After the incident, I actually got to operate the radar that supposedly tracked the UFO. I was allowed to do it see the shortcomings of the radar and to be assured that it didn't track a UFO, especially from the distance reported.

The NWS station was about 1000 ft. or so from the house I was living in at the time. That made it an ideal choice for a Skywarn station for me.

https://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2017/03/ufo_1994.html

3. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think everyone has seen something "interesting"...

A few years ago, riding in a car at night. I was looking up at the stars. It's very dark here where we live, so they're always interesting to see. Anyway, among the stars was one that was moving, rather slowly like a high satellite might do. I looked away for about 1-2 seconds, looked back. Now it was moving exactly backward from the way it was going before. Lost sight of it as we kept driving.

Again a few years ago. A numbered state route in wooded southern NH, night. An elliptical (like a disc turned nearly edge-on) glowing object, roughly the size of the Moon crossed the road in the sky in front of us. We saw it for maybe 5-10 seconds... The road is heavily wooded, so you're looking up out of a "canyon" of trees. There was something odd about the trailing edge of it... Reddish and fuzzy-looking. After we got clear of the trees, we stopped and watched airplanes for a few minutes... It wasn't an airplane. Found other reports of strange lights in that area that night online.

I did amateur astronomy for years, so I'm familiar with the night sky.

4. CX3CP

CX3CP Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not pretend to be a spoilsport, but UFO does not mean alien life and / or extraterrestrial visitors.

U - Unidentified
    F - Flaying
    O - Object

OVNI in Spanish

upload_2018-12-19_22-37-34.jpeg

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” – Carl Sagan

KG5KOG, WQ4G and N0TZU like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I clearly recall the UFO reports and mysterious booms along the east coast in October of 1973, which made the news including the NYT. It was revealed many years later to have been SR-71 recon flights to monitor the Yom Kippur War between the Arab states and Israel.

6. KO9Q

KO9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you; though I think the probability of extraterrestrial life is very high. Perhaps given the size of the Universe they don't know we are here or don't care; maybe we are not civilized enough for Contact. Thanks for quoting Carl....I miss him.

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

MIKE,
    YOU OLE RASCAL
    CONGRATS ON YOUR
    MANY YEARS OF HAM RADIO.

HATS OFF TO YOUR OUTSTANDING
    ARRL MEMBERSHIP
    40_ARRl_Years FOR K5HUM.jpg
    Hats_off[1].gif
    happy-new-year-colorful-animation.gif
    N9HI_Have_a_Nice_Day.gif 73 K1LKP.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  8. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the day, my work activities were often reported as "UFO sightings". My colleagues and I would always have a good laugh, but generally keep the truth to ourselves, lest we get shot. It was amazing how a description of a sighting would change and become so far from the truth. Human nature I guess.

9. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio waves and beams of light. Hihi. Sounds like a fun net.