ad: CQMM-1

HAM Radio Vs. Computers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KG4JSC writes:

The question has been asked a thousand times. Whether or not HAM Radio will die out or not. I have thought long and hard about this question and I personally think that it will not. Here is why...

Computer and the Internet have become the most popular choice of media for buisness and personal use. It is being used for News broadcasting, personal chatting, banking, communication, ect, ect. People have been using computers and internet for roughly 5, if not more years. I am sure that the hobby of HAM radios has died out a little in that time. People finding faster and more efficient ways of communicating and decided to switch over. So wouldnt HAM Radio be dead now if it was truly going to happen?

My Case: My dad was a HAM before I was born. I knew this as I grew up but my love was computers. I am 22 now and just picked up my Tech, Code, and General Ticket. I use computers daily, if not hourly, for everything you could possibly think of. Why did I go out and get my ticket? Same reason everyone else still uses a HAM radio today. For love of the hobby. The challenge and the immense fun it is. I, personally, have a blast even if it is just listening to the thousands of others talking.

I think if HAM radio was going to die out, it would have already done so. It might not be as popular as it was 10 or 20 years ago, and may never be again. But it will never die out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.