ad: Sussex-1

Ham Radio - An end fed folded dipole experiment. Part 1, the idea and design.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AB7E

AB7E Ham Member QRZ Page

Except the currents won't be in phase, and now instead of a shorted transmission line it becomes an open transmission line.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KG5KPU

KG5KPU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I play around with, experiment, and fail all on my own. I don't blame the guy for having an idea and trying it out. The bigger question is....why did QRZ publish it?????

AF4RK, AB7E, W1LWT and 1 other person like this.
  3. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As of now (10:30 utc 7/12/19) there have been 7300 views of the first video and 3100 views of the second.

W2VW and W1LWT like this.
  4. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

wire---End fed---Dipole---Halfwave fed End fed----OCF-----squared ------round----triagle----loop---longwire-----zepp- and on and on what ever a wire is a wire----tubeing is tubeing---Who carea where's there a wire cut for a band and it works its an antenna. if it unknown lenght and works its just that......there is BOOKS, and articles and storys and what e ver to learn ..There is waisted time on discussion on a subject that is already been worked out for a design or experiment or what ever...just cut some wire hang it and hope for your best if you never read a book...so so so many books about this subject...Have we rasied a question dumb thoughted generation who thinks thinks they know more thats already been discovered and written about and formulated...OMG ..cut a peice of wire and ts that hang it use it ..Its that hard not to enjoy your hobby........

K2XT likes this.
  5. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your profile pic says it all. A little duct tape, a little WD40, what else does anyone need? Maybe an xacto knife and a screwdriver !! You got it man.

6. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the definition of a "dipole antenna" from the IEEE Dictionary: "dipole antenna - Any one of a class of antennas having a radiation pattern approximating that of an elementary electric dipole." The technical definition depends on current nodes at each end of a wire and does not depend on where the dipole antenna is fed.

The Carolina "Windom" antenna is actually an off-center fed dipole. An actual Windom antenna is fed with a single vertical wire against a ground plane, Marconi style.

K8JHR, KX4O and AB7E like this.
  7. G5TM

G5TM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because Kevin has almost 20,000 subscribers. Only reason I can think of. 73

VK6APZ/SK2022, AB7E and WN1MB like this.
  8. AB7E

AB7E Ham Member QRZ Page

If everyone thought like you do we'd still be communicating with grunts and smoke signals. Experimentation is certainly one of the ways progress is made, but study, intelligent discussion, and understanding moves things along much faster.

9. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that the antenna that is being built in this video is a folded unipole (or monopole) that AM broadcast stations have been using successfully for decades. The efficiency of this type of antenna, be it vertical or as diagrammed angled to a tree top, will depend on its ground field (radials). As with any single element radiator ground loss will be high, but for a "throw up a wire and get me on the air" it will work, just not great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folded_unipole_antenna

10. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked 5 states with smoke signals :)

11. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am working on grunt DXCC. I started on June 11 of this year. So far, I have 76 entities confirmed.

Please, no comments from the anti-grunt police. :)

12. AB7E

AB7E Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it is most certainly NOT a folded unipole. A folded unipole is fed on one side of the folded element against a groundplane, radial field, or counterpoise. That is not what he has here ... he has no counterpoise. A folded unipole is fed against the counterpoise on one side only, with the other side connected directly to the counterpoise.

He is simply feeding the end of a shorted half wavelength of feedline, and it will not work at all.

AF4RK likes this.
  13. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use bean gas but have to watch that it doesn't light or I'd be sending "spark" mode which is illegal to use now.:D

14. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used an end fed wire in a second floor apartment in the San Francisco bay area. I used 66 feet of wire strung outside between two apartment windows. I built a parallel network tuner and used the antenna on 40-10 meters with really good results.

WN1MB likes this.
  15. KA1JY

KA1JY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You want to use "a convention"? I thought our progressive overlords tossed out all that evil labeling and naming? Z is the new gender neutral pronoun- not the inverse of admittance. Y? Because Z said so.

WN1MB likes this.