ad: M2Ant-1

Dayton Tornado - HARA destroyed....

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by K9UR, May 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The tornado did not "destroy Dayton Ohio" it was scattered damage. As for HARA, it is due for demolition anyway, so they got a good head start. Lot of serious damages but the city is intact! No known issues in Xenia. I am 20 miles south of the Xenia fair grounds and 30 from Dayton and I had no clue or bad weather at the time.

3. W8AAZ

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

No Geyser??

5. W8AAZ

Probably the nado sucked the drains clean and deposited it all over town. Brown rain may have been reported.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ewwww! Insult on top of injury...

Perhaps the gods were displeased with the pace of demolition.

AC0OB likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they can rebuild it now if insurance pays off.

8. N0TZU

How does insurance pay for a building that has been slated for demolition anyway?

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured that was probably one of the reasons why HARA never hosted Sumo Wrestling....
    Ymmv

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Disaster relief.

11. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya...the city still stands... Meanwhile, wide spread damage (not scattered) is reported, as is a confirmed F3 tornado and state of emergency was declared for Trotwood/Dayton, Power out for 50,000 and will remain so for days. NatGas has been cut to wide area. And at least 1 fatality. Water conservation order also given. Thoughts are with our friends in and around Dayton today.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    N0TZU likes this.
  12. N0TZU

Very sad to hear about the death and widespread destruction.

13. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears that the storm did 250 k worth of improvements to HARA. But the septic is another story.

14. W8AAZ

The property owner thinks the main arena is salvageable and some of the complex will have to be torn down. He implied that the arena could be/might be repaired but I think it is hopeful speculation as he does not have a firm buyer or anything from what they say. He would better build from scratch but I doubt he could finance that in that location.

15. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps they should just turn it back into an apple orchard like it used to be.

If you're interested in the ongoing Hara Arena fiasco, you can read about it here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hara_Arena

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019