ad: UR5CDX-1

CW QSO fun with a C21 on HamRadioQRP

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA4OO, Dec 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes using an older transceiver that's missing most of the features of modern rigs can be a welcome return to the basics of the hobby. In this video, HamRadioQRP author AA4OO sends out his call and enjoys a CW QSO using a 1977 TenTec Century 21.

Listen in on two Vibroplex Bug key operators as they chat about their rigs and keys...

[​IMG]

So lower your power and raise your expectations...

Richard, AA4OO
    http://www.hamradioqrp.com

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    HA2MN, K8AI, VE3KDO and 11 others like this.
  2. KA8SYV

KA8SYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Richard,

VY FB!

In the early 1980s, me and my buddy, KA8SYX, used to ride over many a mile of West Virginia's country roads to get to his uncle's farm ... away from the RF noise to use his TenTec Century 21.

We got permission to string up a long wire and operate from a ramshackle camper trailer on his uncle's Appalchian farm.

We drank beer, enjoyed the low noise HF conditions, and practiced our CW on a Radio Shack straight key and a Nye Viking to make QSOs with Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, and Carolina amateurs.

Good folks, good times ...

Magic RF

vy 73 de ka8syv

Frank in West Virginia

Follow me and other hams on Twitter!

me @KA8SYV

KG4IKS, N4EYZ, KG5PFD and 2 others like this.
  3. KA8MNP

KA8MNP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice video, brings back memories circa 1981, got my novice ticket and had very little money but managed to get a Century 21 from Henry Radio in Butler MO. Worked a bunch of stations with that little radio and an el cheapo vertical and a Radio Shack key. Quickly built up my code speed and passed the General Class license exam. Of course I just had to have a fancy new radio that I could "talk" on. Still short on money so the Century 21 had to be traded in. Guess what? I suddenly realized just how much I liked CW. I miss that old Century and have had numerous radios since but nothing to match the thrill of calling CQ for the first time and getting an answer.

Anyway, I still like making as many CW contacts as I can, hope to see you guys on the air some day.

73 from Randall

KA8MNP

KA0LSM, K8AI, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  4. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love the C21...and the C22 for that matter. They always remind me what's great about this hobby.

NL7W and KA8SYV like this.
  5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

owned several C21's over the air. in 1979 there was a book called "all about amateur radio" and it featured the C21 in one section of the book for beginners and setting up a station. that was the rig that I wanted for probably 7 or 8 years... Good radio 40W out, self contained, and 2 frequencies for every signal. Good stuff.

KA8SYV likes this.
  6. KA1LWR

KA1LWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just love it....lots of fun..

KA8SYV likes this.
  7. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Had one. Nothing but good times. Wish I had one today with the pto slippage fix already addressed. That was a harder fix than I anticipated.

KA8SYV likes this.
  8. N3ADF

N3ADF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. N3ADF

W4ANE likes this.
  10. N3ADF

C21 was my first rig in 1979. I still have it and the Ameco K-4 key I got at Lafayette Radio . Great rig with the direct conversion receive so you could just adjust the RIT to either side of zero beat to eliminate QRM. Still use it for Straight Key Night & Novice Rig Roundup. SKCC-6459S FISTS-15404 Jim-N3ADF

K8AI and KA8SYV like this.
  11. VE3IPS

VE3IPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the c21 and the 22 as well and were very nice cw rigs. I recently got a c21 for club use and it continues to be a great radio

KA8SYV likes this.
  12. KX1G

KX1G Ham Member QRZ Page

C21 was my first rig, too! Used it in my apartment as a novice feeding a slinky dipole stretched across the ceiling. Operated between midnight and 5am to avoid QRMming the neighbors. Used it as my novice station at my first Field Day and worked 84 stations. Still have the paper log. Replaced it with a Ten Tec 544, which was an awesome rig. Sadly, both have gone on to other owners.

KA8SYV likes this.
  13. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I still dust mine off and fire it up on occasion. It was my first rig as a novice in 1990 - I bought it used on consignment. It was my elmer's recommendation for a new ham's rig and being a CW-only rig, it caused me to fall in love with the mode.

KA8SYV likes this.
  14. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was actually Richard's videos that got me interested in a Century 21, and using a bug for that matter. Been using both since this past summer and having a blast. I was fortunate to find a really clean C21 from a local ham at a decent price. The PTO is pretty good but has a very slight sign of slippage, so that will have to be addressed later. Right now it works fine. It's going to be fun using it on straight key night this year, which is primarily what the previous owner used it for.

AA4OO and KA8SYV like this.
  15. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my C21 as I was getting back on the air following my college days. Absolutely loved it. Turned me into a 99% CW Operator.

Larry KB0R

KA8SYV likes this.