ad: ProAudio-1

Custom Coax Cables for Your Station

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K8KSU, Sep 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do all my own coaxcables. Using a pair of pliers, a carpetknife and a soldering iron as the main tools. I just can't imagine a ham operator without at least a pair of pliers and a soldering iron! I dunno where this hobby is going?

WA7PRC, W2TH, K0PV/SK2023 and 8 others like this.
  2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple good irons, but they get used maybe once every few years. My skills and interests don't involve working on my gear. :)
    I'd rather look at a computer screen than bare wires or circuit boards any day!

3. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is it that I come up with $21.50 for the same Item?

I've been buying from DX Engineering for years and they are the best! They have the very best customer service that I have ever seen.

Attached Files:

W1YW, NU4R and K2NCC like this.
  4. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people just don't want to go to all the trouble of soldering connectors and would rather buy one already made. It's their choice.

I make my own cables too. I use the DX Engineering crimp on connectors and they work great. I have soldered on PL259 and N connectors for years but these crimp on ones from DXE are much easier and quicker.

K2NCC likes this.
  5. KC9SWV

KC9SWV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not news, it's QRZ.com!

Also, those are some seriously expensive cables. It wouldn't take long to pay off your own set of tools based on the savings you could get by doing it yourself.

K0WJ, NK2U, AK5B and 5 others like this.
  6. N4MTB

N4MTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been making my own coax assemblies for a very long time, but I have allot of tools and practice. I understand some don't have the time, tools or don't enjoy doing those activities. They need to chose wisely and order a well built cable for their needs. Why risk damaging some equipment, or an expensive tower climb for a PL-259 if your not confident on your coax connectors?

KE0DZW, AK5B and K2NCC like this.
  7. KI4P

KI4P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Im an avid DX Engineering fan and customer, and i have myself bought a few jumpers to finish order for free shipping, but in the video for example, 60.00 for a 14 ft jumper! yes i understand its 400 Max, but simply your jumper prices are way to high, for me ill just make my own, by the way i love the new crimp tool, shame the coax strip tool for soldering doesnt work on crimp, wont spend money for crimp strip tool, oh well, again you are my favorite place to buy stuff, Thanks

8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A far as I'm concerned, DX Engineering's and their support of the UNFORTUNATELY failed Bouvet Island DXpedition will have me shopping no where else in the future!

BTW-Great try Bouvet Island group! Can't begin to imagine all you guys went through!

KQ9J likes this.
  9. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Easiest way to get a winlink bot on the air.

10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember back in my 11m daze, Walking to Radio Shack, 3 miles In the snow, uphill (Both ways)
    to pick up a package of PL-259 connectors, Along with a couple adapters, and a fresh tip for my
    Radio Shack branded gun...
    and If I recall correctly, the same adapter for the 75 ohm stuff also worked for the LMR-240....
    Get off my Lawn :D

AA4MB, AK5B and WN1MB like this.
  11. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am also a big fan of DX Engineering. I have bought and installed so many of their ( mostly ) DXE400MAX coax assemblies that I have lost count ( but I can look it up as I keep an inventory of assemblies used, where they are used, and assemblies available ). I keep a supply handy of almost every length they make. When I need one, there it is. Don't need the custom builds, but glad they are available.

I understand why I and others buy coax assemblies. I understand why some people build their own. No problem.

What I don't understand is why anyone would not understand someone else having a preference that is different than their own. Doesn't matter what the reasons are, or even if there aren't any reasons.

People have different preferences, priorities, values, financial abilities, etc.

W4HM, KE0DZW, K0PV/SK2023 and 3 others like this.
  12. KD8CDG

KD8CDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I have a choice, and I chose to purchase ready made jumpers than to build them... How difficult can it be to come to that conclusion? Especially after what I stated in my previous post...

K3SZ likes this.
  13. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally agree a so called ham operator that can't put together his or her own cables unbelievable this is about as basic as it flippin gets.

K0WJ, K0PV/SK2023 and AK5B like this.
  14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Coincidentally, I recently reworked the rotator loop on my tower. I bought a bag of UHF male connectors from The RF Connection (link) and used some DXE400MAX from DX Engineering (link). I added anchor points on the mast for my yagi (two feedlines) and my 10m vertical on top (one feedline). In all, I installed nine connectors in mid-air (the connectors, not me). It was EASY using common tools, and took only a minute or so per connector.

The 30' boom on my big 40/20/15/10m yagi quickly & easily dismantles, allowing me to work with both feets on the ground:
    [​IMG]
    (click for yuuge image)

This allowed me to easily rework the loop (it needed to be longer):
    [​IMG]
    (click for yuuge image)

Had I ordered custom-made jumpers, it would've taken A LOT longer and cost A LOT more. :)

K0WJ, WN1MB and SE3X like this.
  15. KK6ILV

KK6ILV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am old school also. I enjoy building my coax jumpers and grounding assemblies. That is half the fun of this hobby !!

K0WJ, NK2U and AK5B like this.