ad: Radclub22-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interference report sent to ARRL and IARU with images of the emissions noted above from 041930Z through 042152Z Aug 21.

2. KG5RKP

New possible jamming mode noted now. From San Antonio, I'm seeing strong alternating tones, each about 2 Hz wide, alternating inside a 3 Khz SSB space. When I hit an SDR in Orlando, the alternating tones are coincident with the constant lines of jamming we've been seeing since 11 July. I can't isolate the 'bouncing tones' in order to DF because the it's on top of or inside the jamming. The tones are repeating in 12 to 14 pairs (24 to 28 distinct beeps) at about 2 per second with a 4-6 second space in between sets. Seeing the beep pattern in the jamming at least on 7120, 7125, and 7130.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    K0UO likes this.
  3. KG5RKP

FYI...this from CO7WT in Camaguey. He's 125 meters from the 15 KW jamming antenna in his town.

KC7JNJ, W0PV and W7ASA like this.
  4. KG5RKP

5 Aug 21 interference report sent to ARRL and IARU. This report documents the new pulse emissions that were noted from 0025 through at least 0610 zulu.

I was able to complete Winlink message transfers using VARA HF with these pulses in the 2300 Hz passband with only a minor slowing of the data rate. The pulses were S9+ though, and annoying near SSB and CW.

800 Hz spacing, 12-18 sets of pulses per set of 2, approx 2 pulses per second

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  5. KG5RKP

Sample reports and images submitted to ARRL and IARU R2 have been sent to the ITU Radiocommunication Bureau via email, with a request for support and meaningful action to remove the unauthorized emissions from the 40 meter band. We'll see what happens.

Radiocommunication Bureau (BR)
    Voice: +41 22 730 5560
    Fax: +41 22 730 5785
    Email: brmail@itu.int

I'm going to add main IARU to future reports as well: iaru@iaru.org

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  6. ITAL7

ITAL7 QRZ Member

Excellent post. Those are exactly the radios that I mentioned in my previous post. Yaesu 757s retired from military use in Angola. They're all over the island.

N1IPU, KG5RKP and W7ASA like this.
  7. W7HU

W7HU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thank you for your help and support the Cubans deserve to be free

W7ASA likes this.
  8. W7HU

W7HU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

agree with you the Cuban government is jamming and the prove is coming from the center of the island no more comments 73 de w7hu

W7ASA and K0UO like this.
  9. KG5RKP

The Angola thing was 1975 to 1991. Those radios must be getting pretty long in the tooth by now. We know at least one CO has one. I wonder what the CLs and CMs are using?

K0UO likes this.
  10. ITAL7

ITAL7 QRZ Member

I personally have only ever seen 6 of those decommissioned Yaesu 757s in person in Cuba with accounts of it being one of the most popular military surplus radios in Cuba that in recent decades get traded around. Many were originally "donated" is the word operators there use. Many more were actually destroyed. Interestingly, every one of those 6 hams were COs by pure coincidence. I'm certain their isn't an official available list of what radios CM and CL call signs are using if that's what you're asking for. There are some modern Alinco HF radios of unknown origin to me.

Talk about long in the tooth, I've heard several drifty Yaesu FT-101s and Kenwood TS-520s on the air from Cuba! In some cases the operators commenting that it's their only radio and they are very proud of keeping it on the air. Not to mention a multitude of pre 1959 Hammarlund and Hallicrafters receivers. Fascinating stuff.

WD4ELG and KC7JNJ like this.
  11. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Another day of the Cuba Government Jamming on the 40 Meter Band
    IMG_20210809_161637.jpg

W7ASA likes this.
  12. KG5RKP

13. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

With this building tropical storm forecast to run up the length of Cuba, I wonder if the government will cease the jamming, to facilitate the usual back-up communications on the island among radio operators? We shall see.

I'm looking forward to the days when "Cuban Jam" always refers to a music party.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

KG5RKP and KM4OZ like this.
  14. KG5RKP

I continue to send interference reports to the ARRL, IARU, and now ITU. Today's email included logs for 11 and 12 August.

Recipients include w6rod@arrl.org (vp international affairs and IARU liaison), hq@arrl.org, IARU region 2 monitoring program at iarums@iaru-r2.org, the head of IARU Region 2 xe1kk@xe1kk.net, the head of IARU at iaru@iaru.org, and the ITU Radiocommunication Bureau brmail@itu.int

To date I have been informed of 'high level talks' at ARRL (but have seen no indication those are resulting in anything useful). I've also received an automated "we received your email" response from the ITU. I've received no response from anyone at IARU.

2 people like this.
  15. KG5RKP

I received the Sep QST yesterday. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the request to donate to the Spectrum Defense Fund. If this isn't a time for the SDF to get off their collective...hands...and get to defending, I don't know what is.

Got another auto-reply from the ITU.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.