ad: CQMM-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

If your waiting for this to be national news it’s not going to happen. It’s just not a big deal. But it’s true that it’s happening.

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. KC7ZXY

KC7ZXY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check "QRZ Newsroom" -> "Videos and Podcasts" -> "Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND"

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw the other posts about jamming, and they implied that the unrest in Cuba was involved. Has this any basis in truth?

FWIW, in my admittedly very limited experience, I have always had good experiences with Cuban hams, they have always seemed perfectly respectable and polite (in fact, the same could be said for almost all hams I have had the privilege of communicating with), and I just find it hard to believe that Cuba - as a people OR as a government - would even bother doing something so pointless.

Maybe I am being naïve. Is there any evidence that the interference people are complaining about is state sponsored?

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

For those not following the news (and the thread in the Videos subforum) there have been large protests in Cuba this past week. Like the US, their supply chains are stretched to the max, but since they are so poor, this means that large segments of the population are literally dying of starvation. Finally people snapped. People were using social media to exchange information, both among each other and with Cuban family/friends in the US who had access to accurate info, so of course like any totalitarian govt Cuba cut the internet connection for the entire island. So the Cuban people, being resourceful, switched to ham radio, using 40m to communicate with Cuban-American hams to get info. So, naturally, the Cuban govt jammed much of the 40m band.

KO4ESA and (deleted member) like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since last week this all started/ a newsletter is a newsletter and we're living in the 21st century They should have been right on this with the Volunteer Monitors and it should have been headline news/ they had it they had at least 4 or 5 days.
    It works just a like their Emergency communications program ( (Apparently broken) and it is an emergency in Cuba.
    Remember it's also hurricane season and there are many boaters in the Caribbean This could become a real emergency situation.

NM5XD, KO4ESA, KC1OCA and 2 others like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Internet is up and running in many areas and has been since Tuesday.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave
    W7UUU
    Please help us get this issue Front Page and Center here on QRZ.com

KO4ESA and N1SER like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck! So far other related thread been taken down. "Too Political"

N3FAA, KO4ESA and W4DRO like this.
  9. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any point in trying to make this "front page news". Those who are affected by it....we know about it. We get to suffer. But the problem is...who the hell is going to stop them? They won't listen to us. In many ways our hands are tied. The US getting mad at them isn't going to help, the ARRL getting mad at them isn't going to help, getting the IARU involved isn't going to help. This is essentially a dictatorship that clearly doesn't care how they treat their citizens why would they care what we think.

They will continue to cause grief to the international radio community. They literally do not care. They don't. Oppressive regimes start at home before working outward. The ultimate solution isn't the good one.

We're stuck. Till they quit; most of us get to see most of 40m be nothing but useless.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KZ2J

KZ2J Ham Member QRZ Page

I called CQ CUBA on 7026 using CW. No response. Could be bad propagation. I heard some beeping sounds in the background, different frequencies.

If there are QRN or QRM issues, that is interesting and worthy of investigation. It is also important to express friendship and enhance international goodwill.

KO4ESA and W4DRO like this.
  11. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Island of Doctor Moreau, jeeze :(

KO4ESA likes this.
  12. N1IPU

Defeatism never solves anything. It needs to be front page to alert others to the Cuban peoples plight. Especially those who romanticize Communism. You can face this on your feet or on your knees.

N3FAA, K0ELB, KC7ZXY and 5 others like this.
  13. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

This is called looking at history and being pragmatic. Regimes like that do not give two craps about what the rest of the world thinks about them. Alerting everyone to the plight...which they should know if they paid attention to actual news over the course of history....what exactly does that solve. Do we have any influence? No. Doubtful. The only thing they know is force. That's it. They don't deal in diplomacy, they don't deal in being nice, they don't care about anyone's feelings.

What is a country collectively shaking it's fists going to do? All they'll do is shake theirs back...in an obscene gesture.

KO4ESA likes this.
  14. KC1OCA

KC1OCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TDoA can be pretty accurate once you have enough receivers at good locations. ADSB (Airplane positioning) has been using this method for years to help provide location services when the plane isnt sending its GPS location. When choosing SDRs you don't necessarily want to circle the suspected source, but provide receivers at different distances in both latitude and longitude. When you have enough receivers it can be very accurate and quick. Thousands of Raspberry PIs and cheap FlightAware dongles are in people’s houses all over the world contributing to ADSB maps & accuracy.

http://www.multilateration.com/surveillance/multilateration.html

https://flightaware.com/adsb/mlat/

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    WV4M, KO4ESA, K0LWC and 1 other person like this.
  15. N1IPU

As I pointed out its about alerting others lest they be fooled into thinking they are benevolent. How many in the public eye right now are blaming others for Cuba's plight? Sitting idly by does not help anyone but their fanboys.
    And in truth there is a lot we can do, a hell of a lot. None of which can be discussed here because of the fanboys here.

K0ELB, KC7ZXY, KO4ESA and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.