ad: cq2k-1

Coffee and Ham Radios

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jun 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

A weekend variety show dedicated to ham radio and FUN! If you don't like fun, stay away!

This morning we had an awesome guest talk about the past, present and future of the space programs: Stephanie Osborne. Take a look:

If you like this kind of thing, be sure to check our our past episodes and guests here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL01YuCls6edbioyWv-nRtIY_fCEQLSKMB

KO4ESA, M1WML, KC7ZXY and 2 others like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on!! At least one fun seeker...I know you're out there.

KO4ESA, M1WML, KC7ZXY and 2 others like this.
  3. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where was the coffee ?? ...no bean recommendations, no coffee-grinder recommendations, no brewing style, no mention of espresso or any other variant of coffee, no coffee machine manufacturer recommendations...nada...zilch...zero...nil o_O

Apart from some dude with a coffee sign behind his head and another dude sat above him sipping on an iced Latte (i presume) there was just no coffee to be had full stop :mad:

I came for the coffee...later realised i'd been snagged by the "click-bait" title and came away with zero coffee for my efforts...that's one hour 30 minutes of my life i'll never get back :rolleyes:

KO4ESA, AJ6KZ, KO4GBD and 4 others like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

That actually was a nonfat, iced skinny mocha with light ice, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

KO4ESA, M1WML, KC7ZXY and 1 other person like this.
  5. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i hope there was a Cherry on the top ?

KO4ESA, M1WML and KM9G like this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

No cherry...they're on a diet.

KO4ESA, M1WML and KM9G like this.
  7. KD2FMW

KD2FMW Ham Member QRZ Page

This was an amazing stream. I hope she returns for more.
    I too agree that terraforming is a bad idea. That's where reavers come from.

KO4ESA, KY4GD, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not a coffee; that's a soft drink. Countdown to diabetes in three, two, one...

KB7OM, KO4ESA, G3SEA and 4 others like this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Coffee and Ham Radios
    COFFEE CUP FUEL FOR CONTESTING.jpg

radio_coffee_qrz (1).jpg

COFFEE CUP SHOW ME THE COFFEE.jpg
    COFFEE CUP DXCOFFEE.jpg
    OLD SALTY WID COFFEE CUP.jpg
    COFFEE CUP SANTO BLEND.jpg

KO4ESA, M1WML, KC7ZXY and 5 others like this.
  10. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope is lost, when we go into a maximum of Suns minimum for several decades. My hope was, that the heavy activity during the turn of the millenium will come back. QRP is now only for to use in the Greyline or with Sporadic E, when this all will come true.

KO4ESA, M1WML, K3RW and 1 other person like this.
  11. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

You're doing it wrong then. Never disappointed with QRP.

KO4ESA, M1WML, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  12. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on the antenna for to use. But when there is not enough space to put the right one on top of the roof, its getting critical. Not everybody is able to use the right antenna for the low bands.

KO4ESA and M1WML like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is discouraging:

1) the SFI dipped to an historical low for Cycle 25 this week, below 69. That is close to the very minimum we saw at the last quarter of Cycle 24 . IOW, the poor propagation continues despite the true onset of Cycle 25. We should have seen a rise happen --clearly-- last Winter: now we will be lucky to see improved conditions, if at all by this Fall. Here's hopin'!

2) the adoption of FT8 now dominates HF and VHF ham bands. In the VHF contest last week a vast, vast majority of the contacts were FT8. This means 'direct' operator modes are being abandoned to the point of questioning their future viability. This is clearly prevalent on HF, not just VHF ;

3) IF prop picked up significantly, then SSB and CW would clearly be more used on the HF bands. But right now, we are 'talking about radios on streaming video' rather than USING the radios to yack. Who can blame 'em? No one's fault, but it is a shame: what gets us 'radioactive' again depends clearly on Cycle 25.

Chip W1YW

W8IXI, KO4ESA, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  14. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been enjoying the Coffee and Ham Radios series, keep it up!

Just my opinion and based only on my experiences, but I don't think it is all that dire. I'll admit conditions are not fantastic but they are certainly good enough to make plenty of regular contacts. I currently only operate phone and have enjoyed playing radio through the bottom and continue to do so every chance I get. My best DX contact I've made was just last year and that was somewhere around the bottom of the last cycle. Just to be clear I don't have some big gun station either. Many might even think my station would have a tough time making contacts at the top of a cycle never mind the bottom lol. I personally think some give up too soon after a little effort and retreat to a more efficient digital mode because it's almost guaranteed that you'll make some contacts. I'm not knocking that either as I'm tempted to give FT8 or some similar mode a try just because it's something I haven't tried yet.

I'd suggest checking some spotting pages (POTA, SOTA, and any other OTA etc.) and tuning around to those frequencies to see what stations you can hear. There's good activity daily and especially on the weekends. That should give you an idea of what is going on with the bands and give you an opportunity to make some contacts too. Anyway, I'm enjoying my on air time and I hope to hear you all out there!

KO4ESA, M1WML and KR3DX like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Best spotting link is:

dxsummit.fi

KO4ESA, M1WML and K1CWB like this.