ad: Alphaant-1

Build your own DX Commander Multifan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9FFF, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9FFF

W9FFF Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video, I explain how I built my own "DX Commander", talk about poles I tested, talk about wire used, and discuss other things. It is a bit of a long video at 47 minutes. The 3d print files will be posted later today

AA5BK, AA3ZA, KC2IEB and 9 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

After all the hassles to do the build I would feel silly not giving Callum his due. That you use his Branded name in the title are you sure your in the right here?

AK5B, IZ0WKV, 2E0EUG and 7 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree: you should have just said a 'multiband vertical'.

Obviously the manu offers a great product and saves many the effort. That's the value the manu brings to the table. If there are patents then there is another kettle of fish... did you check?

Also, I would never ever do a build with PLA for outside antenna supports. What 3D print material did you use?

Chip W1YW

AK5B, M0TNX and M1WML like this.
  4. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Callum should be given credit! DX Commander is his brand and has developed over many years!

AK5B, 2E0EUG, AB0R and 2 others like this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Glad I'm not Callum... I would blow an f-ing fuse.

AK5B, 2E0EUG, M0TNX and 2 others like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no shame left in the world.

AK5B, N3FAA and M1WML like this.
  7. W9FFF

I used PLA for the first two revisions and then ABS for 2.5 as mentioned in the video. Also it's since been suggested ABS isn't the best for outdoors. In future versions I'll try ASA and PETG.

This question may suggest the video wasn't fully watched. If it was, thanks. If not, No big deal. I'd like to point out some key video points regarding your concern:

I promote purchasing a DX Commander over building one and I give reasons why. Financially, it's not feasible to build one for yourself.

I can't speak for Callum (also states in the video) but it's in my belief that would appreciate the video. And if he had an issue with the build/video he could contact me and I'd work with him to do what he believes is right (also stated stated in the video)

I appreciate the comments, have a good one.

M0OXD, N5SKT, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  8. W9FFF

Did you watch the video?

KC2IEB, M0OXD, N5SKT and 6 others like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A 'f
    No, I didn't watch every second. I skipped forward in some parts. I certainly watched the section where you introduced and showed the 3D parts. No discussion there about PLA vs ABS, for example. Videos are not high school assignments where one is tested afterwards.... so, please: don't blame the viewer.:)

ABS should be fine. I don't think most people are aware that PLA(for 3D printing) becomes brittle with time when exposed to UV; humidity; snow; rain. It does fall apart, like a shredded tire.

Although M0MCX does not appear to have patents nor trademarks on his antennas, and fan monopoles are nothing new, he does have a quality product and, as you say, we should support the innovators here.

Mike Traffie, N1HXA, came up with hexbeams, and at this point many don't even know that. A damn shame. Let's make sure that issue doesn't happen to others, IMO.

Anyway, you did a nice job on the build. I'd be a little worried about oxidation on the cable/wingnut points though.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    AK5B, KB7OM and M1WML like this.
  10. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a DXC ABV and love it. But, let's make it clear that Callum did NOT invent the concept of a 1/4 wave multiband HF vertical antenna. What Callum did was a LOT of research, trial and error, and antenna modeling to get HIS version to something which works very well. Callum's version comes with a great deal of support from both Callum and the other DXC owners, which a home brew antenna doesn't include.

As for this fella's version... that bottom is gonna fill with water no matter how water tight he thinks he can do it...

If you want to build your own, then just buy the minimal parts kit from Callum and get on with it...

AK5B, KC2IEB, VK6OZ and 7 others like this.
  11. W9FFF

My apologies, I just wanted to confirm, because I believe there were some points in there that may have been missed.

Thank You for the build - you are correct about oxidation on the cable wingnut points. This did happen with a few of the open designs I tested out. This is something I need to work on correcting for any future builds I make. The PLA (+) lasted a couple of days in the weather before becoming soft and cracking. A shredded tire would be a good way to explain it. The ABS seems to be holding up. However, someone mentioned it really isn't UV Resistant and I should paint it with a layer of black to deflect UV rays.

I agree, go support Callum. He used a highly tested quality product and his pricing nearly cannot be beat. In case someone didn't watch, my breakdown for this product (Provided I didn't purchase 3 poles, multiple antenna wires for testing, and provided I already had the tools) was at least $200.00. This was for a 5 band version (now 6). Cals 5 band (End of Life) was 204.00$. The time and effort put into making a fake DX Commander was not worth it. I think I even say in the video "You would be stupid to build this instead of purchasing one from Callum". Plus Callum is going to stand behind his product. Now as I mentioned, I had issues with the Jackite Pole and they basically blew me off. Would Callum do that? Nope .

With that Said, the knowledge I acquired from testing different wires, getting different poles, designing files (and finding breaking points): That was worth it to me.

AK5B, KM5TX, M1WML and 6 others like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Fan monopoles, as I said, are nothing new. Some versions use flagpoles with their 'T' bars to do the fan, for example.

BTW water condensations are like death and taxes;-)....

AK5B, M1WML and W9HJ like this.
  13. K4NYX

K4NYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job with the video….. i watched the whole thing and it’s sad people assume instead of getting all the facts. smh.

W5VAX, KM5TX, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  14. W6EBD

W6EBD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not one to usually jump into the fray of such things, but if you are an avid watcher of Callum's videos, he has said he did not invent this and he encourages people to tinker and to build their own. In fact, he specifically sells the bits separately so you can make up your own verticals. Callum did not invent the 1/4 vertical - what he did do was bring it to market successfully. I for one will not build my own, in fact I own one of Callum's great products. And this is something that W9FFF clearly stated in his video.

W5VAX, AK5B, M0OXD and 13 others like this.
  15. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I like it. As I commented on the Youtube channel, I would use ASA filament over ABS as ASA is UV stable. I purchased the 10M SpiderBeam pole as soon as it came in the US store. I use it for POTA with a Chameleon EMCOM antenna. Now that I see what you've done, I might very well fire up my PRUSA Mk3 printer and try to do what you did. Maybe even expand it a bit and see if I can emulate the DX Commander Classic (40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 and 6). I like what you did with the screw in endcap from the SpiderBeam pole, I never imagined using it like that.

I love that you gave Cal credit and wasn't taking away from him. This hobby is about experimenting and hacking together an antenna and you did exactly that. To those who are trying to say you rip Cal off, I wonder if they say the same thing about all the multitude of antennas based on a 49:1 EFHW design? Just saying.

KM5TX, M1WML, K4MID and 3 others like this.