ad: portazero-1

Activating two parks in two states / Parks On the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Mar 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

This month I am taking advantage of the early spring temps and getting outside on the air. The mast and antenna combo has made it really flexible to setup in almost any park. I still can't decide which is working better with the end fed half wave, the inverted V or inverted L. I recently found the Qsomap website so I can start mapping out the performance of each setup.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    KI4PBJ, W1FYG, KC7ZXY and 4 others like this.
  2. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work Shane! I accept the challenge:p I might try a RaDAR this weekend 3 states ;)

K5QBF likes this.
  3. WD5ENH

WD5ENH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video. Look like you was having fun with the pile up. I enjoy hunting for parks on the air.
    73s
    Steve
    WD5ENH

W1SRR likes this.
  4. K5QBF

It was fun, I have the warthog and rhino so I going work on the next one in a couple weeks.

W1SRR likes this.
  5. K5QBF

I do enjoy the challenge of a good pile up.

VA2SS likes this.
  6. VA2SS

VA2SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video Shane! It is really fun to see hams having fun doing this great hobby. I try to be active as a POTA hunter as often as I can.

Looking forward to work you in one of your coming POTA activation.

Stay safe and 73.

Jeff VA2SS

K5QBF likes this.
  7. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your video is inverted. I keep on seeing more and more inverted videos, why can't people upload videos the right way round???

Also, you say at the start that you've got everything set up but you don't tell us or show us what your setup is. We have to look into the background and pause the video to figure out what you're using.

Surely it's not too much to ask to spend 30 seconds to give us an overview of your setup?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  8. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for having fun with POTA! Loved the drone shots... Wish I had one for my own park excursions. 73 W3AAX

W1FYG, KC7ZXY and K5QBF like this.
  9. K5QBF

The setup is covered in my first video in depth. I can add a short summary on the startup, but don’t want to sound repetitive in every video. The video is mirrored from using the front camera on the iPhone. I use the front camera so that I can see myself and stay in frame. I try to keep the amount of gear to a minimum at the park. I’m new to YouTube so I’ll see if there’s a way to remove the mirror, I only notice it if there’s something written on clothing.

KN6NWZ likes this.
  10. N9EE

N9EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good video. I also do parks here in west Florida, can do most of the year, have good weather for it and the leaves are on the trees, hi. My rig is IC705 and 40m OCD Dipole on 20ft portable flag pole. Have used FT817 and G90. I work mostly CW with NAQCC-WFL chapter.

K5QBF likes this.