ad: chuckmartin

#45 How to get the best microphone for your ham radio shack with Bob Heil

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, May 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps a tad....

Not really a list thoug.h

Turns the Hollywoood Squares into the Hollywood Rectangles....

Ill pick Paul Lynde to BLOCK

[​IMG]

2. N5EAL

N5EAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, KM9G, sounds pretty good on whatever he is using.

3. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The best mic? a guy that sales mic for a living would be a little bias here.

KD5BVX likes this.
  4. K5TED

K5TED Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO outboard audio processing can be effectively used to maintain average level and intelligibility without going over the top with the low end boost to create pipes that aren't even remotely there to begin with. The "wall of sound" concept when properly used is advantageous compared to typical ssb radio internal processing which often is misused and maladjusted.

What I heard in this video sounds like every contest day. Thin, reedy, but highly intelligible audio well suited for noisy conditions or weak signal. To my ears, horrible for armchair copy QSO on SSB, AM or FM.

We know that low frequency audio power is wasted in adverse conditions. Better to use all available up at the top end of the voice spectrum than have a quarter of the output get lost in the mud. But what about when conditions are good for ragchew?

There are already established, well engineered and researched products out there for the broadcast and studio microphone market from Shure, EV, Sennheiser, AKG and Neumann. These mics, while clearly wider range than is needed for 2.8kHz SSB, are still excellent when implemented properly through outboard processing. When a true "signature sound" is desired for the station, outboard processing is the key.

Broadcast stations use complicated audio processing for the sole purpose of sounding the loudest and clearest on the dial while staying within FCC regulated limits to deviation or peak modulation. But, we aren't broadcasters. Nevertheless..

When you apply that concept to a strictly voice transmission without having to consider music or other voices in the mix the main operator sound can be tailored to have a distinctive, clean, well balanced and powerful effect far beyond what can be accomplished with compression and RF clipping, and it doesn't have to sound thin and reedy.

I will be purchasing a Heil hand mic for my SG-2020 backpack. Not so for the base station.

5. KB9MQL

KB9MQL Ham Member QRZ Page

buy mine it will be the best .... just a sales pitch pffft.