ad: CQMM-1

WQ7P "Roland Svensson" RF Engineer, SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W7DO, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W7DO

W7DO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned today of a friends passing. Roland Svensson (WQ7P) died of a massive heart attack over this last weekend. Roland was an early boss of mine, when I started out as a newly graduated electrical engineer at Racom, Tukwila, WA.

Roland seemed to posses an infinite wisdom regarding radio communication and especially analog filter design. I remember Roland helping me design and actually build a high order low pass filter for a graduate school project. The professor at the time seemed blown away that not only was the filter designed, but that I had it inside a cardboard box to actually plug in and test out. I remember the same professor giving a frowning look over at his graduate assistant who probably had tried making one or two before unsuccessfully.

I had the pleasure to work with Roland at a few more communication start-up companies afterward. I easily remember his smile after telling us a dirty joke or two. Roland did have a sense of humor but was always willing to help a know-it-all novice engineer. I remember asking him how long it will take to be a good RF/Microwave engineer. He said in my case, "The rest of your life."
    We will miss you, you old fart. 73/88, Gary Martek, W7DO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.