ad: Radclub22-1

What to Do BEFORE Moving to an HOA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Jun 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Get new XYL

WD8ED, M1WML, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What to Do BEFORE Moving to an HOA???

DON'T

K0UO Rhombic Antenna Farm is located at the Kansas QTH with over Two miles of Wire in the Air & On the Air, “The RF Gotta-Go-Somewhere"!

W2DB, M1WML, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HOAs can be highly variable. I've lived in this one for 20 years and haven't had many issues (and all of those resolved in my favor after a quick conversation). In my specific case, I'm more restricted by the size of my lot (antennas have to be vertical or nearly so) and the population density (townhomes) than the HOA. Over the 15 years I've been a ham, I've had a number of antennas and not once have I been told to take them down. The rule is they can't be seen from the street. You can hide a lot behind a 3 story TH. :)

Chris

M1WML, KG5WDD, KD8VRX and 1 other person like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, some don’t care, some have leeway, and some absolutely ban outside antennas - like the one I used to live under before I renewed my interest in radio. Otherwise it was a reasonable HOA (and I was on the board). I plan not to be in an HOA again if I can possibly avoid it.

AJ6KZ and M1WML like this.
  5. KI4POT

Nor do I, but I have other concerns and interests aside from radio. If it takes moving to an HOA to address the other concerns, then I'll find another way to do radio. I'm probably 80% portable anyway (mainly because I prefer that mode of operating to sitting indoors).

Chris

M1WML, KF9VV, KF5KWO and 1 other person like this.
  6. N0TZU

Sure, few of us are one dimensional. We have (and had) other activities that require no restrictive covenants which is why we opted to live where do now after 14 years in the HOA house. However, life changes and one must be flexible, especially as one contemplates downsizing options or the eventual “assisted living”…

M1WML and KI4POT like this.
  7. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Our next POTUS...

M1WML and K9GLS like this.
  8. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm here.... I've not seen any worthy new anti HOA comments... just variations of the same old claptrap! Commenting would just be a waste of bandwidth...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  9. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Assisted living is possible, but not eventual.

10. N0TZU

I would prefer it to a sudden, final alternative.

M1WML and W1SPS like this.
  11. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sell you rigs & find a new hobby !!!!

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  12. KI4POT

Because the only way to do radio is from your house with a giant antenna farm. :eek:o_O

Chris

AJ6KZ, M1WML, W2AI and 1 other person like this.
  13. W5OXL

W5OXL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't live in an HOA area and wouldn't because of the horror stories of just a very few that didn't even deal with antenna installations. We haven't even had deed restrictions/covenants since 2001 which was 14 years before I bought the land. This is a rural area in Texas and most Texas counties have few restrictions. We have a few problem residents. Some folks tried to form an HOA a few years ago to address these people but it was resoundingly shot down. If you could make a minimally restrictive HOA and make it very hard if not nearly impossible to change the bylaws maybe it would work.

About 35 years ago, I was looking at houses and found one subdivision that did not permit radio emissions and found another that did not allow outdoor antennas and radio output of over 250 watts. I ended up in one that had no HOA and few deed restrictions. But currently, I understand that in most areas all new developments have HOAs. I have even heard that local governments will not give the go-ahead unless there are severe restrictions on the properties. The last town I lived near and could possibly annex me, was anti-Amateur Radio. They stated twice in their zoning that getting a permit to install a tower had to do with appearance and only once for safety. I never saw any towers in their city limits even in semi-rural areas.

M1WML likes this.
  14. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not Really; there are many non-HOA housing out there for folks to choose from. Matchbox, over-regulated, restricted community living isn't for everyone.

M1WML and KR3DX like this.
  15. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Death is a reality of life.

M1WML likes this.