ad: Radclub22-1

What is the WORST rig you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WF7I, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7IWW

K7IWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The National NCX-3 was a real P.O.S. The NC-2000 amp is still a good piece of gear and of course National made some legendary receivers. But that NCX-3 sucked. Never used one that was any good. Always on the blink. Several friends had them in the 70s and only complained.

2. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It had to be the Yaesu Ft-101 it was nothing but a pain and man that thing would drift.

3. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like somebody did a bad </div>...

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

For me it was the RCI-2950. Was given to me by a friend and turned out to be almost unusable when running mobile.

I don't know how RangerUSA keeps selling the things. :mad:

5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I loved my old 101. Dont recall a drift problem with mine. Perhaps there was a unique problem with yourws. Of course mine was an "E".

All of my old rigs were great. copl;dnt say any were the "worst". mEven my Swans were enjoyable.

Regards
    Lee
    ni7i

6. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

I am only on my second rig which is a huge step up from the first. So by default, my first rig, Icom 706MKII, was the worst rig I ever had. In fairness, it wasn't too bad but no where near the same class as my TT Jupiter. The receiving differences between these two rigs is VAST. My problem was that I was using the Icom for something it wasn't designed for: base station. For a mobile rig, it does OK. I suppose I could have done worse for a first rig. I could never go back though after having this Jupiter, it would be too painful.

7. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never owned a bad ham rig hear is why. What I have owned in the past was the. Kenwood TS-530 SP, Ken TS-830, Ken TS-180, Ken TS-430, Ken TS-570 S, For VHF: Ken TS-751 A, Ken TS-711 A, Ken TS-790 A. I have owned one Icom 735 and a Icom 756Pro and they were great radios too. :D

8. WW1ME

WW1ME Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst radios

Fun reading! It's curious that some of the radios coming in for the greatest criticism -- the likes of Swan and Atlas, Heath, Hallicrafters and National, for example -- are among those that also seem to inspire the greatest nostalgia today. The Heath HW-100 series transceivers were awful, but they still fetch a nice price among collectors because of the Heath name. I don't know how anyone found, much less heard, anyone on any of the Hallicrafters S-38 series receivers, but some even heard my puny Novice signal in the 1950s.

This said, the absolute worst radios I ever used -- new, out of the box -- were by Patcomm, a US manufacturer that, mercifully, is no longer in business. To the manufacturer's credit, the radios debuted some nice features, such as keyboard RTTY without a TNC or PC, and successive models did get better, but not by much and not fast enough. The SGC-2020 was not one of my favorites either, although one could drive a truck over it without damaging it, nor was the Index QRP rig.

By and large, dollar for dollar, the ham radio gear on the market today represents a far greater value than anything we might have been able to buy 25 or 50 years ago, Collins included.

9. WA7TN

WA7TN Ham Member QRZ Page

Eico 753

Absolutely the worst of ALL TIME!!!!

10. WA9Z

WA9Z Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all relative

Any moron can dial an 800 number, read a credit card number and call tech support for assistance plugging in a $10,000 appliance. Only a competent ham, devout to the cause can make a Galaxy, Swan, Eico, etc sound like one. Cheers, WA9Z

11. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Like an Eico 753? Sounds drifty to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.