ad: wmr-1

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank,

Its an expression.

I think we all know what happens when electronics gets 'fried'. No one said anything about biological diathermy.

No one said anything about 'people getting fried'.

Missile elctronics? Yeh, maybe.

Also, you assume a 1KW delivery to the skin. Nope. A lot lower. I will let you figure out why.

Chip W1YW

2. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip I would love to learn why my cabin was not a faraday cage. I have been in the cage at ARRL HQ, and except for the porthole I noted not much difference. This is not a smarty reply. I really want the benefit of your knowledge on the subject. 60 years on this planet and I am still learning. That is why I love ham radio!

3. KR6GF

KR6GF Ham Member QRZ Page

The Soviets liked 'phase conjugation' in their laser applications, but I am not sure whether you are saying they used some synthetic aperture technique. The near field issue is not about far-field predictions, it is about avoiding air breakdown.

BTW, I love your page. But, your fractal antennas has initiated wave-chaos in my brain. I am going to have to give it some settling time.

Another, BTW. I guess Directed Energy is what we say it is. The Navy went so far as to include rail guns.

73, KR6GF

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Heheh! Yeh, fractals R us....

What I am saying is that they phased up the array, and then took the near-delta function pulse train, and delayed it as a function of frequency to use the ionosphere to enhance the delivered power at target. They used the radar reflection to figure out the dispersion, and used the ionosphere as a lens, for the (not working) attack mode.

They found its a crappy lens.

Not just phase conjugation--- not merely trying to remove the effect of the medium, but leverage it for more gain.

(For others...) its a little like combining multipath in MIMO to realize extra gain.

Yep. dielectric breakdown set the limit of TX power per antenna. Clearly each element must have been designed for many, many megawatts. I suspect the feed line (waveguide?) to each antenna set the limit.

Chip W1YW

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The hole lets charge distribute in the cabin.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its about 1/20th of a wavelength in perimeter. That's not small enough to prevent 20M RF from coming in.

Typically you need holes 5-10 times smaller to stop RF such as you experienced.

7. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

This was covered on Discovery science channel's show 'Mysteries of the Abandoned'. It is the Russian Woodpecker. And another one is apparently being built. Its some sort of backscatter/tropo radar from what I remember of the show.

8. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I seem to remember in the days the woodpecker was operating the pulses were recorded by you guys with big beams & played back to it. Initially the thing used to shut down pretty much straight away, but then they started encoding the pulses so they knew when US hams were yanking their chain. Anybody able to confirm that, or was it just some made-up story?

It got to be a sufficiently big nuisance that one of the noise blankers on the ts930, when it came out, was specifically designed to cancel the woodpecker.

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

So where are the thousands of reports of radios destroyed by tuning into the thing?

That's right, there are none.

Your math is beyond wrong.

Rege

10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

No you were not, and you did not.

And there was never such a station in Mozambique.

Rege

11. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it was trivial to jam.

On the occasions that it did not respond to jamming it was because nobody was watching the return display!

If you want to understand more read about the "radar range equation"

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=radar+range+equation&t=fpas&ia=web

Also read about "a scope"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_display

Then read about the "radar jamming equation"

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=radar+jamming+equation&t=fpas&ia=web

Take your best guess as to the "radar cross section" of a ballistic missile in its coast (mid course) phase

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercontinental_ballistic_missile#Flight_phases

Understand that the rocket contrails during the boost phase would be indistinguishable from the ground clutter returned to the radar operator.

Rege

G3ZPF likes this.
  12. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider sunlight is around 1000 watts per square meter....

Rege

13. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you just string random words together to make impressive sounding reports in your professional career?

And waveguide , do you see any @$%€#! waveguide in the picture?

Rege

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope.

Yes.

Sure do.

Not all waveguide is a hollow tube. Coax, for example, is a waveguide. Dont get hung up on 'zero TEM' in defining waveguide.

Transmission of waves and boundary conditions define 'waveguide'. I understand the engineering convention of 'waveguide'.

If you mean is there zero TEM 'waveguide'....I imagine it was mostly stripped from the Duga and put rubles in someone's pocket.

Now be nice and stop trying to 'stump the professor'.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhh.. What you are trying to say is.... a cage with a moderately sub wavelength hole IS a Faraday cage?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.