ad: M2Ant-1

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Add 66 dB for power, 13 dB for focussing, 20 dB for dwell cycle, and 3 dB for the large cylindrical metal object(target), not thin wire dipole, 3 dB for backplane on Duga.

There's your kilowatt+ hit. On the surface. Delivered. You either get electrically incapacitated, or fried.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It ain't a Faraday cage :)

Its outrageous that they had this device pointing into harbor...

3. AB3QD

AB3QD Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you see the CNN headline about “Soviet mind control radar”? LOL Some people will believe anything.

W1YW likes this.
  4. W1UO

W1UO Ham Member QRZ Page

When everything was fired up at the same time, usually in the evenings and mornings. And assuming my math is correct.

VOA Site A Beargrass, NC
    500kW = 57dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 79dBw EIRP x 5 transmitters = 400 MegaWatts EIRP
    250kW = 54dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 76dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 120 MegaWatts EIRP
    40kW = 46dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 68dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 19 MegaWatts EIRP

VOA Site B Grimesland, NC
    500kW = 57dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 79dBw EIRP x 5 transmitters = 400 MegaWatts EIRP
    250kW = 54dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 76dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 120 MegaWatts EIRP
    40kW = 46dBw + 22dBi antenna gain = 68dBw EIRP x 3 transmitters = 19 MegaWatts EIRP

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

When they're operating QRP

6. LX2VY

LX2VY Ham Member QRZ Page

Booked a weekend tour in order to go and visit the DUGA plus the zone this February... but the flight to Kiev was cancelled.
    Eagerly waiting for the rescheduled visit this December to finally see the DUGA <3

KK4VRE, KA0HCP and W1YW like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We'd LOVE to see your pictures! Let us know when you go:)

KK4VRE and LX2VY like this.
  8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Since we have "no cases on file" of this happening, let me again express my doubt ...

KK5JY likes this.
  9. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

A "Faraday cage" isn't what you think it is.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. Why not?

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's news to me. Why don't you educate me, given that I have the basic patents on metasurface shielding, so that I can be sure I have it correct in my forthcoming book.

Given all my statements on Faraday shields and cages (good luck searching 'all' of them out), my 'thinking' on Faraday shields is not correct because...

Be careful not to infer beyond fact. Or assume I said something I did not say.

Are you stating the the case in point IS a Faraday cage? Do you have evidence that ALL the electrostatic charge lay outside the room? With a small port window?

What was incorrect about my statement that it's: "not a Faraday cage"?

Maybe you are confusing external distribution of charge with the so-called "hydrino"(which you cite in your member description).

I'm all ears. Well, brain attached also.

[​IMG]
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  12. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

In reality it was a pain in the backside. those like me who remember the racket that this thing caused in QSB all over the bands. You just sat it out and cursed it. I hope it knackered up a lot of the soviet intercept stations as well.

13. KR6GF

KR6GF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this. I remember the Woodpecker. I think they had a bonafide need for an over the horizon radar. Some of these applications can be evaluated by the power substation nearby, but the total power required is not that great. It is not CW, after all.

The best way to get Chernobyl to produce EMP is to repackage the Uranium, Plutonium, Neptunium et al into a nuclear device and launch it hundreds of miles up and then detonate it, using the resultant upper atmosphere's x-ray-ionized-layer as an antenna.

But, you don't need Chernobyl for synthetic EMP and you don't need a lot of substations, you just need pulses of high power levels for very short durations. However, you DO have to worry about air breakdown, so a million, or so, volts fed to or present on an antenna at any point or any field strength anywhere that can cause local breakdown that would destroy any hope of getting the 7, or so, MHz pulse out. Even so, you could not focus the pulse, even with a large aperture antenna, probably, without exceeding breakdown. the near field is likely to be gnarly [the technical term, I am sure]. The practicality of this seems very dubious.

I think they would stick with HPM [high power microwaves] and short range targets, miles of range, not thousands of miles.

KR6GF aka WD6GGX, BSEE, MSEE, Former member of the Directed Energy Professional Society, former consultant to the EW Group at EAFB, CA

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The pulse (as I mention) is focused by time conjugation, not aperture as you describe. IOW you take advantage of the dispersion determined by the OTHR and stagger your delay as a function of frequency to de-disperse at target in 'weapon' mode. The near field does not predict the impact in the dispersed far field.

The fact that it didn't work certainly didn't prevent them from trying. Frankly, I think they were off by at least a factor of 20 in making it work.

Call this a 'directed energy' weapon if you wish. Soviet's 'Star Wars', equally impractical.

Yes, know about the Compton radiation in high altitude. Spoken here. Understood.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  15. DL6FB

DL6FB Ham Member QRZ Page

For comparison: A HF Therapy Device works on 27Mhz (there are also devices with 430Mc or Microwaves, depends on penetration-depth). With Input Power of 1,8kW the radiated Power is 400W CW or 1kW Pulsed. This Power is exposed concentrated on your shoulder for example.
    In no way your shoulder gets fried, the physical effect is warming up the tissues of the body and this is what the doc wants.
    So if you assume the radiation is exposed to the complete body you see that even 1kw cant cause immidiate frying or else.
    73 de DL6FB
    Frank

AA5CT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.