ad: wmr-1

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Never thought we'd see the day that the Woodpecker was a tourist destination, but, that day has come.

The story talks about the OTHR 'search'aspects but not the focused EMP 'weapon' aspect. Thank goodness it doesn't talk about mind control with the Duga.

FYI the DUGA is not capable of being operational, as you will see in the story. It will not join the OTHR interference crud presently spewed by Russia, China, and others.

[​IMG]

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/duga-radar-chernobyl-ukraine/index.html

l

The picture didn't post from that news story. Not my fault. Here it is:

upload_2019-3-3_8-23-17.png

The elements are wire cage (biconical) dipoles with a ground plane backing.

It is (was) a massive HF array.

Wanna figure out the TX power (roughly) in weapon mode? :

Chernobyl FULL power output x average Gain of Duga across passband x 20 (for focussing).

Then divide by 3 (roughly) for TX inefficiencies, and power lines and transmission line losses. Or do a sensitivity analysis.

HF- based (EMP) zapping.

Scary stuff.

Chip W1YW

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
    2E0KLX, WW5RM, MM0XXW and 7 others like this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Chernobyl FULL power output x average Gain of Duga across passband x 20 (for focussing)."

And yet, they still managed to 'power' nearby cities ...

BTW, I haven't seen any video, pics of the transmission lines from Chernobyl to Duga, so, let that be the basis for my doubt about the really "high" power involved ...

(There ought to be a really GOOD_SIZED substation, still existing, on the grounds of 'Duga' too.)

3. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where do I connect MY RADIO!!!! :)

VE3BDE, NN6A, WB5PDZ and 5 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. in attack mode, the power goes to the Duga.

Do some more research. Its out there. Chernobyl was built for the Duga. The 'cities', where the employees lived, were a secondary issue and a cover.

The attack 'weapon' mode was , apparently, only tested at partial power, and failed. Thus began the saga of the coverup. And the story of the Chernobyl disaster.

Chip W1YW

AD5NM and MW1CFN like this.
  5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Do some more research."

Did. Where's the substation? The BIG substation for this application?

(You're buying the 'hype', I'd say.)

You know, these 'things' to have been real, they have to exist in the real world, not just inside your own mind, or in the mind a 'film producer' to have actually worked. Physical devices have had to have been used to create these HUGE amounts of power - surely you comprehend that aspect?

So, show me the remains of that infrastructure.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    KK5JY and KK4VRE like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm buying hype, then we are all in trouble:)

OK for you to disagree. FB.

Chip W1YW

W4WJ, AD5NM, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  7. DL6FB

DL6FB Ham Member QRZ Page

On wikipedia is fine high-resolution picture. Here you see big structures underneath the left Antenna Array

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._Radar_Array_near_Chernobyl,_Ukraine_2014.jpg

Personally i think that the Powerplant Tschernobyl is not build for the Duga. Also think they dont blow the full power from the Reactors to the Duga. The Power seems to high for this Antennas. Many of the knowledge about the Duga is urban-legend i think.
    Nevertheless already he Duga-1 was heavy on Air, i remember the times of the Woodpecker, many of the Radios from this time have an Noiseblanker for this reason.
    73 de DL6FB
    Frank

WB5PDZ, KD2ACO, DD5XL and 1 other person like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

VK5JA, CO2IR, N2NOW and 7 others like this.
  9. WD4HXG

WD4HXG Ham Member QRZ Page

The one that will make a grown man cry is the destruction of the towers at VOA's old transmit
    site in Eastern NC. VOA foisted it off on the University of North Carolina system and UNC in
    turn had a demolition company set charges to drop the towers. That was one massive high
    beam steering array that would have turned a 100 watt Heathkit into a mouse that roared.

https://www.icqpodcast.com/news/2016/4/17/implosions-removes-48-surplus-voa-towers

In the 1960's rumor was you could replace the engine in a Volkswagen Beetle with an electric
    motor, mount a diode on the motor lid and drive around the area using free power from VOA.

WB5PDZ, K9CTB, VK4ZEN and 2 others like this.
  10. G4LZD/SK2023

G4LZD/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Never mind where do I connect my radio - is there anywhere I can hang m mother-in-law? Gotta be a good view up there

NN6A, MM0XXW, K1DNC and 1 other person like this.
  11. K7QO

K7QO Guest

Here is a youtube video of some kids using quad copters to give you some closeup photos of the array
    and a race down the inside to come out the bottom. New game some of the kids play.

N4JTH likes this.
  12. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow.

13. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember hearing the DUGA back in the 1980's on the 10 Meter Band

14. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember being in jr high school when I first heard the woodpecker sometimes it was between several bands at once you could hear it was a electronic machine gun and would take out huge swatches of the bands so throughly you couldn’t hear anything on those freqs until it was done ✅ if you crossed the rush of a helicopter blade with the sound of a machine gun going thud thud thud it was a sound
    You’d never forget as it pierced the shortwave bands dominating every frequency band it touched

WB5PDZ and NU4R like this.
  15. DL6FB

DL6FB Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty cool video about the Drone Diving on Duga:)
    Nice to see the young people getting so thrilled.
    Btw.: On the video with the climber you can see the feeder lines to each antenna. I wonder how they get the HF through the structure without energising itself.
    73 de DL6FB
    Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.