ad: AbAuRe-1

Surprising find on the fist fault-line walk around with the EMF-390 Multi Field meter on Mt. Seymour

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by VE7DXW, Nov 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All;

We have done a walk around with the EMF-390 at a known fault-line here on the north shore of Vancouver and we found that the unit alerted when we crossed each of the faults. As we walked down the trail it alerted again and there must be some hidden cracks where the magnetic field lines escape which the unit detected.

If you have a 390 and you live near a fault give it a try! If you do not have one, buy one. It is a very interesting and educational unit. It is also very affordable as well!

These faults are located in an area without cell coverage so it was not man-made.

If anyone is interested to go there again I will volunteer my time and maybe we can repeat this experiment with a calibrated an more accepted EMF meter! There is another fault line above West Vancouver which we will also visit.

[​IMG]

The EMF-390 is made in Seattle and it is a EMF environment magnetic and electric testing unit. It is capable to see magnetic changes down to 0.5 Hz.

https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/

All the best!

Alex Schwarz – VE7DXW

Attached Files:

2. VE3KOT

VE3KOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Alex,
    I found your post looking for a device that can measure RF power density near my antenna, when operating on HF bands.
    I am using portable vertical antenna in the middle of small backyard. Calculations show that RF levels inside the house should be well within safety limits, but I'd like to have a direct measurement. I am not sure how accurate these consumer-level devices are.
    Have you tried measuring RF field near your antenna when operating, and how it compares with values predicted by RF safety calculators, like this one: http://hintlink.com/power_density.htm ?

Thanks,
    Evgeny - VE3KOT

3. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Evgeny;

The problem with field strength testers in general is, that it is difficult to measure magnetic fields and the equipment is expensive. But here we have device that may not be totally accurate, but is sensitive enough for catching the elusive field lines that escape at a fault line. Now with this device's price it becomes very easy to have a walk around your home and detect RF-sources and fields you have even not considered.
    Unfortunately the device does not cover the HF frequencies, but it still indicates on the EMF created by your antenna. If you transmit into a non resonant antenna the readings will be higher.

Alex