ad: Radclub22-1

Solar Cycle 25 Stirs & Mercury Crosses the Sun | Space Weather News 11.07.2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB8CR

KB8CR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wish the spots would come back long enough for me to get the last 2 states on 10M for 5BWAS.

2. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

The Maunder Minimum refers to that one specific minimum a few centuries ago. There is an interesting theory that there are actually two sunspot cycles simultaneously that add and subtract.

3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. Seasonal upticks in propagation around the equinoxes are the norm. I predict that 2019 will exceed 2008's total of 268 spotless days. There are 53 days remaining in 2019 and we are already at 233 spotless days. We're almost at the end now.

4. AF2DX

AF2DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of you forgot that the predication for cycle 24 was to be a record breaker.
    I remember working WAS 40 meters in 3 nights with only 8 watts.
    I did not need FT-8,I penned in all my contacts BOB AF2DX

5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed!
    Hurray for the human experience of viewing occultations (such as eclipses and transits) with direct optics, rather than a web telescope or electronic display telescope.

AK5B and W1YW like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Look at it as 'modulation of a waveform by a second frequency', thus constructive and destructive interference.

The Maunder minimum is indeed a reference to an historical 'null' in sunspots, caused by that beating (as above). Because we may be heading into another such period this century, the term has been extended in use to refer to any future long-term null in sunspots.

It is unfortunate that whether or not solar activity controls the global changes in warming is now a huge political issue, but clearly its the dominant factor. See, for example:

http://www.petitionproject.org/review_article.php

The gist is the 'human' issue is whether the extant effects of CO2 warming will mitigate the cooling effect of a new Maunder minimum. If not, despite fears of run away climate heating, the reality will be another 'Little Ice Age' with that new Maunder minimum--if we didn't have the CO2 heating.

The prediction is global warming for another 10-15 years, then a decline and plateau, similar to today, for 50-80 years.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    WA7NTL likes this.
  7. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if any heliacal sidebands are generated?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    W1YW likes this.
  8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with KA2DDX and today,20 meters was hopping with cw,psk,ft8,olivia and JS8 into night. Been trying to find where PSK OPERATORS are on 30 meters now. After dark, 40 and 80 come alive. Couldn't believe it! I called cq once on on 7.071.60 khz and g8dks came back to me on olivia 8/500 and we chatted for 50 minutes with S7 to S 9 signals! Last week Monday, a YB9 station called me on 20 meters OLIVIA 16/500. The band conditions were marginal at best and he faded out after 10 minutes and this was about 5:30 pm. Remember last winter,spring and summer that wonderful sound of receiver HISSSSS and thunderstorm lighting crashes??????.

10. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to SC25. I am sure it will be fun and I will work more new ones for DXCC HR and work more DX / TEP on 6m. Not concerned about the predictions at this point. Hope to have a couple more cycles before hitting the dirt.

N7BDY and AK5B like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good attitude:)!

And better the dirt than the coals:)

NZ5F likes this.
  12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

well why are we seeing solar cycle 25 flares..

NZ5F and AK5B like this.
  13. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The editor in me fixed it for you (free of charge). I had some extra punctuation and question marks laying around that were eager to help out. :)

M1WML likes this.
  14. KI5UWC

KI5UWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoy. Listing. All. U. Ham. Op. Enjoy. The. Dx

15. KB5LBO

KB5LBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your videos! I live in Michigan and talk to Hawaii and Italy most everyday. Even had some activity on 15! 20 is always busy with dx from the east in the morning!

AK5B and M1WML like this.