ad: M2Ant-1

RADIOBERRY - HF SDR TRANSCEIVER PI HAT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Jul 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0DQW

M0DQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we take a look at the Radioberry, a Radio PiHat for the Raspberry Pi design by Johan PA3GSB. The Radioberry is based on the successful Hermes Lite 2.

WA7AXT, K8OIP, AA5BK and 22 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good stuff. I have a 4 sitting around too. Now I have something to do with it.

N6OUI and M1WML like this.
  3. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

5:25 onwards...is that AGC pumping ? or overloading or other ? ...either way it don't look good IMO....also someone mentioned on the YT comments regarding it being connected via Ethernet...why ? (was it a remote connection/screen or other) as i'd like to take something like this away from the shack (mobile/portable/hotel)

M1WML likes this.
  4. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

You make such great content Matthew, thanks.

M1WML likes this.
  5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like fun, but I can't (quickly) find any information on availability or price. I can see one vendor in ebay offering bare PCBs ar around £10, but those are two large SMD packages to hand solder...

Martin (G8FXC)

M1WML likes this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats what Hamradio is about. New experimental equipment and innovations to tests and develop. Seems like to be, when Linux started in the 90s. Everybody can do something and discuss about, to get on further software and mostly hardware advancement. Modern Opensource ambitions for new solutions.

M1WML likes this.
  7. G6WPJ

G6WPJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks to me like lightning strikes. I have an Elad FDM-DUO and see the same effect on my band view waterfall. If you look at the waterfall you see the high energy wideband spikes. We have had a lot of lightning storms in the UK and around the near continent over the last few days.

Personally I think the performance looks pretty good. Pity the A/D convertors are not higher resolution. Good AGC will be the key prior to the A/D convertors to offer decent dynamic range.

Matthew (G6WPJ)

M1WML likes this.
  8. WA8P

WA8P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WC4R and M1WML like this.
  9. VU2LID

VU2LID Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002554764099.html

M1WML likes this.
  10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

That is pretty pricey for what it is. If I didn't already have similar I would probably pull the trigger.

WC4R and M1WML like this.
  11. VU2LID

VU2LID Ham Member QRZ Page

Radioberry is remarkable for what it does for that price. It is FPGA based direct up/down conversion transceiver board that fits on top of a Raspberry Pi. There are versions of firmware which can be used for decoding FT8 concurrently on 8 bands. There is a very active discussion group:

https://groups.google.com/g/radioberry

Discussion group on Hermes Lite (Radioberry is based on Hermes Lite):

https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite

SparkSDR works well with the above:

https://www.sparksdr.com/

M1WML and WD5GWY like this.
  12. WB8LZR

WB8LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a listing on amazon for about 150 bucks. Is the hand soldering worth that much LOL ?

M1WML likes this.
  13. N6ALT

N6ALT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great stuff. I already have a Hermes Lite II but this just forced me to buy a Radioberry to go with my new Raspberry Pi 4, we can never have enough radios.

Joel
    N6ALT

M1WML likes this.
  14. KN4ODM

KN4ODM Ham Member QRZ Page

Got one from Amazon for ~$120 looks like the price is going up :( Got it working with RP4 using SDR console on a windows VM. Looks like a neat project to play around with. Enjoy the tech minds content.

15. W2UA

W2UA Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be out of stock at both Amazon and AlienExpress!